Split the pen

minorhero

Hello folks,

So I was making a few pens for Christmas presents and I ran into a new problem. The wood was "ebony" pen blanks purchased from woodcraft and left in my car for a week or so. I drilled and turned them fine. But 24 hours after the pen was done they cracked. So what caused this? Moisture? Reaction wood?

I made some pens from tulip wood at the same time. The tulip wood had been in my non climate controlled shop for years and it has had no problems.

Zero time. My shop is unheated and essentially open to the elements minus rain. My car other then when I am in I is pretty much the same. That being said, it was a packaged pen blank. I have never had this trouble with a pen blank before. Either they die in the fashioning or they live forever.

Ebony is one of those woods that splits. What makes it a real pain is that you can let it sit for a year to completely

acclimate, but once it's turned, it can crack. It's as if it only an 1/8" or so deep dries out well and when turned, the drying process continues, thus causing cracks.