Bleaching pith to achieve more consistent appearance?

matthew-s

I've got a project in birch that has some end grain showing. Some of it includes the pith, which is a brown color. There is also a small section of long grain pith that popped though the show surface in one area.

Will I have any chance of reducing the contrast? If so, what product or process would you recommend I research?

It's not a huge issue if I have to leave it. But figured I'd see if this is an option.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your talking about the light spots? That is sapwood. Well, you can dye it get it close to the darker heart wood. Wont be perfect but will soften it up some. Then play with some stains and go a littler darker for the center panel for contrast. If this were me and it wasn't glued up? Suck it up as a learning experience and get some better boards. You will be glad you did. 

Or as Sir Eric suggested. Call it done and move on. 

-Ace-

Have you decided on a fix for the leg chip?

I was referring to the dark spots. I'll leave it. It does not bother me, but if there was a simple way to touch it up I would have.

I have not addressed the chip. I'm working around it for now. I have the off cuts from the legs still. I will try to get a veneer off with a dovetail saw. If I think it will work I'll go for it.

I'm still pissed at myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk