Don't judge... Looking for 'decent' construction lumber

Ron Zeppin

Good morning folks!

This question is mostly for the local Phoenix folks, (Marc too!)

I've been designing a large 4-poster canopy type bed in my head for quite a long time now... Finally was close enough

on finalising the design to put it to paper, and now am collecting the lumber and hardware needed to build it.

My first build will be using construction lumber, as it's cheap, and once I'm sure that it's design is what I really want, and figure out

my little tweeks and such, I'll build a new one with hardwoods, and a buddy has requested this first one, so it won't go to waste.

I stopped and picked up 4x4's, 2x6's and 2x8's at Home Depot yesterday, and for some reason, even though I knew they felt 'wet', it

just didn't click until after I got home. I'd guess even in our Phoenix climate, these things will take months to dry out to a usable moisture level.

I can find Kiln Dried lumber locally in all the 2" varieties, but haven't been able to source anything local for 4x4's in either 8' or 10' lengths.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm considering creating my own, but am not 100% convinced on which method is best.

I could simply laminate two 2x4's together, for a 3x4 (3x3.5) which for this use would be OK.

It's been a pretty good while (over 10 years) since I've really built anything, didn't even realize that most of the lumber I got was 'Green', ( was unaware!).

Have to laugh... instead of measure twice, cut once, for me, it's read more, buy once! ;)

Any advice is more than welcome, I'd appreciate the insight!

Thanks!

Ron

Lumber in the 16/4 range can be tough to find in most species, and when you do find it, $$$$$.  You'd be better off laminating two 8/4 boards...take your time to grain match and it's all good.

If you wanna go cheap on your mock-up, try poplar.  Down in your neck of the woods alder may be more common.  They're both inexpensive, and using legit kiln-dried hardwood lumber is going to save you a lot of frustration.  Stay away from the box store stuff unless you're framing walls or building a deck.  :)

I built a work bench out of construction lumber it was built with laminated 2x6"s from kiln dried lumber I skip planed every thing on my thickness planer then glued and, clamped the hell out of everything people build projects out of construction lumber all the time good luck Ron. I just got all my lumber from HD here in Washington state everything is kept under cover so I only let sit one day before milling and gluing it's been three or four yrs since I built the bench still just as flat as ever.

Thanks guys! There's a lumber yard close to my house that a buddy recommended, but I got lazy and got the lumber at HD when I went to get the rest of the hardware instead of making two stops.

GRRR... Oh well, live and learn. The lumberyard is closed on weekends, so I'll load up what I have and return it to HD on Monday and then go by the lumber yard.

Great looking bench Hightron!

Thanks guys! I'll check into the Poplar as well!

Ron