My journey, down the rabbit hole

Daniel Kuehl

This post is a bit longer than I thought it would be when I started.

This journey sort of started here. I haven't posted anything of note in quite some time, but it now behooves me to give an update on this journey (for reasons I don't know). It may seen strange, but this journey has actually taken me AWAY from my beloved hobby of woodworking. I am still very much endeared to the craft, but my interaction has shifted monumentally. My focus has shifted from the result of the craft to the tools of the trade. I am now a hand tool nerd, and a card-carrying one at that!

It all began on Halloween night, two years ago. After recently listening to a Wood Talk episode that covered the use of Naval Jelly to remove rust (Episode 143 - Belly Jelly http://www.woodtalkshow.com/episodes/wood-talk-143-belly-jelly/).  I happened to have an old rusty draw-knife and a kid-free night to see if it could actually be cleaned.  I documented the project here (Restored Draw Knife http://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/12349-restored-draw-knife/#comment-106145).  That old, decrepit, forgotten tool was restored! It could actually be used again! I suppose that "restored" isn't quite the right term for it - "reconditioned" is a more accurate term for what I do. I'm not sure why, but I somehow gained a deep sense of satisfaction with that first project...as much as any woodworking project had ever given me. I truly enjoyed the messy process, and I especially enjoyed the end result - a new tool for me. 

After that first experience, I restored a couple more tools that I had in the shop. Then I went out and bought some more rusty junk and did the same thing to them. By the end of the year I had reconditioned dozens of old tools, and I didn't spend more than 5 bucks for any of them. Most of these old tools were ones that I would never use, like the draw-knife. It just hung on the pegboard rack where I put it after I had finished it. There was also a gasket cutter, a few extra hand saws, a pipe cutter, and many more. Even worse than that...I hadn't done a single woodworking project in months! I decided that the best thing I could do was sell the old things on eBay and get back to my shop life. I made an account, took some pictures, and started some auctions for the ones that I knew I could live without. I was completely shocked to find that I was able to sell these tools for much more than I had bought them for. And then the light bulb over my head buzzed and glowed bright. It was the first time that I had ever MADE money selling off projects from a hobby! The entrepreneurial spirit that dwells within me was on fire!

So the first thing I did was go out and buy some more old tools and repeat the process...over and over. By the end of that year I still had not done a significant woodworking project, but I had completed hundreds of tool reconditionings. I also made enough in sales that I was a bit worried about the upcoming tax season. Something had to be done...this was no longer a hobby. After reflecting for a bit on the progress made in that first year...I decided it was time to formally transition my hobby to an actual business, claim some tax write-offs, and but some more tools.

And now...nearly 2 years after that first draw-knife project, and the thousands of other tool reconditioning projects completed since then - I will reveal to you some of the changes that have affected my shop-life. 

1. My 24' X 20' basement shop has turned into a 6' X 15' tool restoration center with the rest of the area being filled with warehouse storage, a shipping center, and a photo booth. 

2. All of my woodworking power tools have been sold or given away. The router, the band-saw, the compound miter saw are all gone now. The router table was converted into the shipping bench. I stopped short on the table-saw. I went though so much planning and choosing and researching to pick that stupid thing...I just couldn't bear to let it go yet. The saw has been in storage for over a year now...just in case I suddenly change my mind.

3. The area in the garage that I used for lumber storage has been converted into additional warehouse storage.

4. I started off with 3 planes, 5 saws, a draw-knife, and about a dozen other miscellaneous tools. I have reconditioned approximately 200 hand planes, 150 hand saws, 140 chisels, 20 draw-knives, and over 1000 other tools - wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, and other miscellaneous tools.

5. I readily admit that I have drifted far from true woodworking, but not too far. I am still very much involved in the craft, but only on the tool side....and I still have an ultimate dream shop that I'd like to build someday, only now it has 2 aircraft hanger sized bays instead of 1.

Here's some before pictures...from a time when my shop was clean.

post-13786-0-10984700-1370818866.thumb.jpost-13786-0-76594400-1370818867.thumb.jpost-13786-0-77941100-1370818866.thumb.j

And here is the current state of my shop...not as clean, but definitely getting used every day.

IMG_20150823_182509577_(1024x576)_(2).thIMG_20150823_182521317_HDR_(1024x576).thIMG_20150823_182601696_HDR_(1024x576).th

And here's a couple picture of the plane rack. Other tools get their own shelf space. I'm running out of room and need to expand into a larger area, but I don't see that happening unless I move to another house....with a pole shed.

IMG_20150823_182536889_(1024x632).thumb.IMG_20150823_182735615_(1024x752).thumb.