Adhesive Question

Rex Edgar

The missus wants me to make magnetic bulletin type board 12" x 18". I want to give it the appearance of wood, if I use 1/4" ply, I'm concerned about the strength of the rare earth magnets. I'm thinking of using a wood veneer to minimize the thickness. What would I use to glue the veneer to a piece of sheet metal. If ply is used and a wooden frame I am concerned with the weight of the finished product. I have never used veneer before, so any tips are welcome. 

The missus wants me to make magnetic bulletin type board 12" x 18". I want to give it the appearance of wood, if I use 1/4" ply, I'm concerned about the strength of the rare earth magnets. I'm thinking of using a wood veneer to minimize the thickness. What would I use to glue the veneer to a piece of sheet metal. If ply is used and a wooden frame I am concerned with the weight of the finished product. I have never used veneer before, so any tips are welcome. 

Since you can use contact cement for veneering, that would seem like the obvious choice here. It should stick to the metal too. I'm sure others that have tried something similar will chime in, since I've never actually done it.

Two thoughts, consider that the magnets being placed and removed may mark up the wood surface. I'd pick a darker finish to prepare for this.

As far as strength of the magnets, why not just do a test? I've made bottle openers with rare earth magnets that catch the calling caps like this:

engrave-product-image.jpg?42020986949606

c700x420.jpg

In general, I had to place the magnet quite close to the surface, but that was because the caps were literally falling through the air and I wanted enough magnetism to suck it over through the air before it fell out of reach. With larger pieces of metal, the issue can be the opposite, the magnetic pull is so strong you can't remove the darn magnet!

• Like 1