Buying used DW735 Planer

blkdiamond

I found a slightly used DeWalt DW735 planer on craigslist that I am going to look at on Saturday morning and wanted to see if there is anything that I need to check or ask about prior to purchasing. The planer comes with the infeed and outfeed tables and the ad said the planer had only been used for a few hours. This will be my first planer and I just want to make sure that I know what to look for. Thanks for the help.

I would low ball him and see of you can get it cheaper... Start around 300 and barter from there.. I have that planer and love it. Make sure that you stop at Home Depot and get some sort of hearing protection before you turn that bad boy on. It is LOUD!!!! Just check overall condition. See if he has a test piece that you can run through. If the blades are crappy, try and get him down on that. Blades will cost you. Hope it is decent. Good luck...

I have that planer as well. I like it alot. It does a good job. Not really much tuning to do. Every once in awhile I take the top and the dust/blade cover off and give it a good cleaning out. I will be selling mine in about a month or so. Getting a new Hammer A3-31 combo machine. Are you in Jacksonville? I see one in our craigslist for $375. Says it was in storage and saw little use.

I have that planer as well. I like it alot. It does a good job. Not really much tuning to do. Every once in awhile I take the top and the dust/blade cover off and give it a good cleaning out. I will be selling mine in about a month or so. Getting a new Hammer A3-31 combo machine. Are you in Jacksonville? I see one in our craigslist for $375. Says it was in storage and saw little use.

I am actually in Colorado.

I am actually in Colorado.

Just up the road from you in Castle Rock..

I'd check the cutter head, rollers, and belt. I would say it is a little on the high side for price, but if it is clean & in good shape, its up to you what you are willing to pay.

I have one and it has been a great machine and installed a Byrd cutter head.

I've got the new Woodcraft ad in my hands right now... prices are for April 2 to April 30.

They have the new DW735X planer (means it comes with the outfeed tables and a second set of knives) for sale at $649.99. And you get a free router with purchase (DWP611, 1.25 HP compact router)

Personally, I'd say you got a great deal. I purchased a new DW735 for more than what you paid used, and got less than what you did. Score for you.