Help with glue joints on end grain butcher block??

ak6143

I have a couple of older projects (2-4 years old). 1 is my dining room table that I made of walnut and the other is a hard rock maple butcher block cart. The butcher block is an end grain butcher block about 8in thick. My issue is that my glue joint seem to be swelling or something, more so on the butcher block. If I run my hand over the top I can feel nearly every joint pretty well. About a month ago I hit it with a cabinet scraper to knock it all down and re-oiled. Now I can feel all the joints again. I dont remember what I used for glue, but most likely it was TB2. Any ideas how to remedy this?

I've noticed the same thing on the butcher block table I made a year ago. I think I used regular Titebond. It feels like there's a little ridge at every joint. I was going to sand mine down and hit it with a fresh coat or two of GF Salad Bowl Finish. But of somebody has an explanation of what's causing it and how to prevent it from happening again, I'd certainly like to know.

in my experiences, you're gonna get this regardless of what you do. i can't explain it, but i've gotten it on several of my end grain boards. i have found that if i sand them down after a few months of use, and apply more finish they will eventually stabilize. it may take a few rounds of sanding/using/sanding/using. i've yet to find a way to prevent it all together.

• 2 years later...

Ok I know this is a old topic but at culinary school we would sand down all our blocks and board every year. Mainly to show us how to do it in our work life. But after sanding we would put them into a tub of mineral oil for up to a week. Then we would let them sit on edge for as long as they had been in the oil. Then we would rub warm bees wax into them to fill all the pores and give them a bit of water resistance.  I hope this helps...

Chef