spontaneous tool purchase!

petersb

Have you ever made an unexpected tool purchase?

I have and just did!

I just brought home a barely used DeWalt 788 scroll saw and stand for $250 off of craigslist!

I got started into woodworking about 10 years ago, when my foreman at work gave me a gift card for Home Depot. I wanted a tool but I didn't know what. After some thought, I added some of my own $ to the card and bought a Ryobi scroll saw. That is where it started.

I was searching Craigslist to see what was out there for an older Delta unisaw. I really like those!

I decided to search for scroll saws and see what came up. I have been wanting to upgrade the scroll saw recently but I just couldn't justify the $$$ for as little as I use it. The kids love to cut on it, so I could justify one at a good price.

Well I ran across the ad for the scroll saw that had just been posted that day. I was just going to wait for a new saw until later. For some reason, while rearranging the shop, the ad just hit me and I felt compelled to call on it and see if it was still for sale. It was!

The guy, Mickey, was very respectful and put me down for first shot at it. I wasn't able to make it there yesterday to look at it and we arranged to check the saw out this morning. It was barely used, about 20 times I was told, and about 4 years old. It was his wifes saw and she didn't use it anymore.

We made the deal and I brought it home. The top needed some cleaning up and some polishing. It looks and works great!

I have only done some quick cutting on it but it is like a dream. It is smooth and quiet. A very nice saw, even for the retail price. If you are considering one, it is worth it. If you are patient, look around and you may find a deal.

post-351-004988700 1284836063_thumb.jpg

post-351-005471400 1284836083_thumb.jpg

post-351-090382700 1284836102_thumb.jpg

The Fall 2010 issue of Scroll Saw magazine (issue 40) has a scroll saw buyer’s guide. They compare 23 scroll saws in 4 price categories. They do tell you what their pick is in each category except the highest price category. If you’re in the market for a scroll saw this article should be helpful.

Here is a link to the review article if anyone is interested. Scroll down the page a bit and you can read the article.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/features/2010-scroll-saw-buyers-guide.html

The DeWalt and Delta are the same saw. Here is the best deal that I have found on the net. It is for the DeWalt with stand and light.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/DW788-7880-7881-20-Scroll-Saw-W-Stand-And-Light/H7414

I haven't been able to find a better deal on the DeWalt or the Delta. The review article gave the Delta the top choice in that category because it came with a stand and light for the same $$$ as the DeWalt saw alone.

Just some info for those that are looking for a scroll saw.