Nyles' Project(s) Thread:

Nyles

Hey guys hows it going.  I figured I would finally post some pictures of a project.  I am sure many of you have seen me posting on all sort of stuff and were probobly thinking does this guy even build anything?!?  Well here is a picture of a mostly completed project.  I have a few more projects in the works and one big one I am waiting to do the finish on but the weather just hasnt been good and its just to large to finish in my shop on my bench.

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

(The glass shelves arnt glued in place yet they are just resting inside the mitered dados I cut for them so they may seem slightly askew.  They candle holders hang on the wall and are resting on a MDF stand for photo purposes in these pictures.)

These pictures are of a candle holder Ive been working on for mothersday. Has a mirrored back and a glass front with glass shelves.  The mirrored back made it very hard to get decent pictures with out either the flash showing or myself in the picture.   I made two at the same time so that increased my production time, but all in all I think they came out pretty nice.  I actually ended up selling these two (my first commission) so I picked up materials for two more.  The next two will be maple with cherry and I plan on doing an inlay on the outside or maybe some miter keys at the bottom.  Will post pics when I get them done.

Like I said above I have another project mostly done just waiting to finish it, its the toybox ive mentioned in several other posts.  Soon as its finished with the stain and finish coat Ill post that up as well.

Enjoy,

Nyles

Well Id like to take credit for it, but my friend thats taught me most of what I know about woodworking actually came up with the design as far as I know its his original creation.  Thanks for the comments though either way im proud of them and I did most of the work with him showing me a technique occasionally and then me doing it with him watching over my shoulder so to speak.

Finally got confirmation from the wife on what color she wants the kids toybox so Ill pry start getting that ready for finish  tommorow.  Ill try and take pics if my hands can stay clean enough to pick up the camera ;)

Nyles

Started the finish sanding on the toybox last night, hoping to get the first coat of oil finish on early in the week.  The weather has taken a turn for the worst again so I am waitin on mother nature.   Ive been trying to pass the woodbug along to the kids so ive been bringing them down for a little shop time over the last few weeks as well.

IMG_0991.jpg

My oldest boys first project, a napkin holder for his mother he did a fine job if I might say so.

IMG_0988.jpg

My youngest son's bird house for his mothers garden.  

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Some shelves my oldest boy made for his mothers birthday last week,  He really did a great job.

and so no one feels left out...

IMG_0801.jpg

our cheering section and curious onlooker while we worked away in the basement.  

Gunna start banging out more candle holders, Ill try and get some pics in progress.  Wish i had better lighting for photos down in the basement shop.

Nyles

Well I got a full day in at the shop.  Pry wont get much shop time till next weekend, so I tried to take advantage.  Got 5 candle holders going at the moment. Basically called it a day when I had all the pieces milled, laminated, and inlayed respectively.  I will do the final glue ups here over the next few days and then next weekend hopefully cut the mirror and glass to fit.

Maple w/ Walnut inlay

IMG_1140.jpg

Maple and Walnut lamination (This ones a set of 3, 1 big one at 18" and then two smaller 10" ones not pictured yet)

IMG_1138.jpg

Maple w/ Cherry inay

IMG_1136.jpg

and an action shot of my buddy routering the recessed dado in for the front glass.

IMG_1132.jpg

thats bout it for now, have a few shop projects, some refinishing, and some tidying up to do on these candle holders that should keep me busy with the limited shop time I get at the moment.

Nyles

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a while since Ive posted anything, but Ive not ben idle. Ive been finishing up this round of candle holders as well as a few other projects. I completed a few shop mallets, a birthday present for a family friends son, and a graduation gift for my wives brother. I still have a few more candle holders to knock out for customers, and another mallet to make as a gift for a friend. Was then thinking of making a 'weave' end grain cutting board for myself. Well see what happens. Here are a few pictures.

the birthday present, its a measuring stick so they can keep track of their new tikes height and take it with them if they ever move.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

The cuttingboard.  Nothing fancy just something that will work. Used marc's wipe on varnish finish, worked great.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

The mallets are each filled with something different.  One has lead shot, one has copper bb's, the other has sand, and one is just solid wood.  The solid wood one i cut the angle of the face at about 5 degrees.  The others i will put leather on the faces.  All will be done with a real quick wipe on varnish.

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

Thats about it.  Sorry no action shots.  Will post more later.

Nyles

• Like 1

Thanks TRbaker, I am proud of them.  I am lucky enough to say that i do indeed have 3 very great children.  Ill do my best to keep up the work, there just seems to be this limitation called money holding me up from purchasing materials for more future projects at the moment.  Hopefully ill be back to work in a week or two and then the tools and lumber shall hopefully be purchased with reckless abandon.

Nyles

• 2 weeks later...