Frustration, Burnout, and Switching Gears

adamking

Been away for a bit, but even though I haven't been "in" the forums, I've still been around. Things have really accelerated lately in what I've been doing with my woodworking biz and life direction. So, I've had a lot to work on that's kept me with my head down charging full speed ahead.

Lately the subject of frustration and burnout have been coming up, and I thought I'd share a bit of my challenges in hopes of helping you get past it or even prevent it from happening to you. Because, even though things are motoring along now, it wasn't always that way.

In fact two years ago, I was locked inside my rental house, curtains closed, sitting on the floor, hadn't left the house or answered the phone in two weeks. Yup. Two weeks. Did I mention they shut off my electricity and water, and it was the hottest part of August? My Grandfather, my hero, had just passed away. I felt lost without him. I couldn't cope. But on top of that, I had been trying to make a successful custom furniture business happen for four years prior to this. I had come to the point where I was tired of working with clients who didn't want me working at my best. I was frustrated at seeing myself accept jobs that were of no interest to me simply because I thought I needed the money that bad. I had been living in poverty up to this point, and was homeless not long before starting the business. So, I was also exhausted from fighting. Fighting to just get a meal, fighting to see a dollar to my name. Fighting to keep myself from quitting and throwing it all away. You could say I had reached a burnout point, and beyond.

I'm not gonna lie. It was hell to go through. But it made me desperately search for a better way. It forced me to decide what my business needed to look like and it taught me that I didn't have to settle working in ways I didn't like, and that didn't serve my passion. I just had to sit down, discover what made my heart sing when it comes to woodworking, and pursue that and only that. It still isn't easy at times. It shouldn't be. But it's a lot easier than pursuing a path that doesn't utilize my gifts and talents in ways that make the world shine and serve others.

My first and biggest lesson to all of you is set boundaries from the beginning. I spent 7 days a week 16hrs a day working in my shop only to come away with no profit because of the work I was doing. Decide right here and now when enough is enough. It's never worth the sacrifice of health, family, and love just to get work done. Never.

Second, decide what you want to do with woodworking. Do you want to make beautiful custom furniture in a particular style? Do that. Are you a turner crafting stunning bowls and vessels from reclaimed timber? Do that. Stay away from being a general jack of all trades and just allow yourself to pursue what interests you, even if you aren't sure people will pay for it. Guess what? People will. You just need to find them. (That's a whole 'nother chapter.)Just don't sacrifice your abilities just because someone wants to pay you below what you're worth for work a carpenter can do down the street. Stick to your niche.

Third, and finally, if the desire, passion, and energy seem to be slipping...take a break! Step away. Go on vacation. Up until last month I hadn't been on a vacation in almost 7 years!! That's not something to be proud of. That's something to be ashamed of. So, take breaks and take them frequently. Woodworking sabbaticals are necessary. Try taking a week off from woodworking every two months or so. Use that time to so something else creative. Writing, music, painting...whatever makes you alive. Do it. Then, you're guaranteed to return to woodworking with new insight, greater passion, and a whole crop of new design inspiration.

Ok, this is getting long. But that's why Ive been away for a few weeks. I've been on a sabbatical. I've been pouring myself into a related pursuit that I can't wait to share once it's ready. But, for you all, take care of yourselves now. You're not promised tomorrow and those tools can sit for another day if it means coming back with your highest and best mind and heart to use them.

Preventing burnout is as simple as never letting yourself get there to begin with.

Adam,

You recognized the problem, that is half the solution. A friend, not me, is in a situation very similar to yours, down and out, seemingly no where to go, looking for work,the whole nine yards. He is a minister, which makes the whole thing odd. He seems to have lost his faith. I reminded him of the poem "Footprints in the sand", and recomended that he read "Job, the life of a simple man". Not the JOB in the bible. He does some woodworking, but not much. Right now he is at that crossroads of making descisions, much the same as you. In the Talmud, there is a passage that says,"Find thyself a teacher", or friend you trust, and talk to them. Don't load them up, but talk honestly. I told him how I saw him, with the codicil of "Would rather have a frank friend or a Park Avenue Charlie?". He is the REV, I am the RABBI. I hope thing work out for you. I also hope this did not sound like a lecture.

One of the reasons I never looked towards making sawdust a career is for some of the reasons you described. My current line of work (computers) was a hobby that I REALLY liked and was naturally good at... it turned into a job and now I friggin HATE looking at computers all the time. Something I would never want to have happen with my woodworking.

Taking breaks is GREAT advise. I too went 10+ years without any form of substantial vacation (Lived in NC 10 years before ever seeing the Outer Banks). There are TWO problems there. 1) You get burned out QUICK. 2) your idiot boss (even if you work for yourself) gets to the point of assuming you will ALWAYS be around. I am at the point where I get something like 6.2 hours per paycheck in vacation time... I hit my max accrual all the time and loose vacation. This is NOT a badge of honor... it is a sign of stupidity.

Lots of good advise in your post. When what you "love" starts being a "chore"... it becomes a problem. Perspective is a beautiful thing... you can get lots of it sitting on a beach with a margarita. =)

Something that can help keep you from burn out is a great place to work in. Make your shop or studio comfortable and enjoyable to be in, lighting, flooring, wall color all play a part in making an inspiring place to work. Have a nice sound system, perhaps a tv. Your environment plays a key role in how you work and how enjoyable or not enjoyable your work is.

One of the reasons I never looked towards making sawdust a career is for some of the reasons you described. My current line of work (computers) was a hobby that I REALLY liked and was naturally good at... it turned into a job and now I friggin HATE looking at computers all the time. Something I would never want to have happen with my woodworking.

Taking breaks is GREAT advise. I too went 10+ years without any form of substantial vacation (Lived in NC 10 years before ever seeing the Outer Banks). There are TWO problems there. 1) You get burned out QUICK. 2) your idiot boss (even if you work for yourself) gets to the point of assuming you will ALWAYS be around. I am at the point where I get something like 6.2 hours per paycheck in vacation time... I hit my max accrual all the time and loose vacation. This is NOT a badge of honor... it is a sign of stupidity.

Lots of good advise in your post. When what you "love" starts being a "chore"... it becomes a problem. Perspective is a beautiful thing... you can get lots of it sitting on a beach with a margarita. =)

While it certainly is a possibility that you might get burned out on woodworking, I would never discourage anyone from pursuing it just because there's a risk of hard times. In fact, it's those hard times that made me what I am and put me where I am right now. I'm grateful for them. If you've ever though of trying to even make a side income with woodworking, there's no reason not to try. If you stop loving it, it's only because you're doing it in a way that doesn't resonate with your values. So, you simply change directions with it. Be flexible.

Thanks for the insight man.

Something that can help keep you from burn out is a great place to work in. Make your shop or studio comfortable and enjoyable to be in, lighting, flooring, wall color all play a part in making an inspiring place to work. Have a nice sound system, perhaps a tv. Your environment plays a key role in how you work and how enjoyable or not enjoyable your work is.

I would place shop environment very very high on the list, (but you already knew that). Engineering the ideal place to create is essential for long term sustainability of creative inspiration. In other words, make it really appealing to walk in and work your magic. Great advice man.

So while I don't do it professionally (or necessarily that well :)), I still like a nice shop. Something draconian makes me want to leave. A friend of mine always ribs me with "so you painted that, too". Sure! Takes no time and makes the place look like something other than a plywood-offcut-dungeon. A popcorn maker definitely is the ambiance maker :)

My studio is more like a relaxation studio rather than a furniture makers studio, except for the bench and tools. The walls are painted a coffee brown with granite textured paint. Ceiling is white with black track lighting. The bench wall is a window wall with a nice view. Flooring is cork and tatami mats still waiting to be installed, hopefully in November. Doors to service panel and storage are louvered, soon to be replaced by shoji style doors with natural edged lower panels. Also on the to do list is a new tool wall and cabinet. I tend to do work on the studio in the fall and winter months. I also use the studio for design work.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the reasons I never looked towards making sawdust a career is for some of the reasons you described. My current line of work (computers) was a hobby that I REALLY liked and was naturally good at... it turned into a job and now I friggin HATE looking at computers all the time.

I thought I was the only one. I find myself turning to woodworking out of frustration from my day job. Music!!! I can't believe I am typing this but I am starting to hate my music career. There are good days and bad days but lately the days where I just don't care are taking over. It is a struggle to dig in sometimes and give it everything I've got.

Honestly, I took a personal day today... I am sitting in my recording studio but I spent the whole day drawing up a bookcase in sketchup. I'm ok with it. I needed it. Tomorrow I will be able to dig in twice as hard.

I too went seven years without a vacation... barely a weekend off in that time too. It is hard making your living in something that you are really passionate about. People assume having the dream job will make everything ok. It doesn't. If you are not careful you will wind up hating it. That would break my heart if it ever came to that point... the point of not wanting to do it at all.

I am glad I got into woodworking and now have another solid hobby so that I can get away from my hobby turned means of paying the mortgage.

Great post Adam... takes guts to say stuff like that sometimes.

To all, I spent from 1975 through 1998 in dual careers, teaching in a college and the Air Force Reserve. I got to the place where I didn't care if I ever went to the school again. I quit in 1988, after being the head of two departments at the same time.. I didn't get tired of the AF, because I was flying the heavy metal. 1988 through 1998, I had a marble and granite business. After 1998 I ran a small business from the house until 2008. Now, I believe it was worth the trouble, but only from the retirement checks and health benefits. Burnout takes a heavy toll, physically and mentally. Not only on you, but on those around you. Today I can say to my wife,"Next wednesday is supposed to be a nice day and a good fishing day", and she says "OK, I'll see you that evening". I had a hard time learning to relax, but I didn't have to learn not to get too upset at anything. I hope each of you get into whatever it is that will not be work, even though it is your vocation. I did it, you can too.