Precision Bits rail and stile set

Jeremy Morgan

This past winter I was asked by my lovely lady to build a window seat for our front room.  We decided on a design that had two drawers and cabinets on the ends.  Not having ever built cabinet doors before I spent entirely too much time reading about it and then decided I just needed to buy some bits and try it.  

2013-01-29+19.42.41.jpg

As I didn't have any plans to make too many doors this style I didn't really want to invest in a really nice set of bits.  I decided to go with the  rail and stile set from PrecisionBits.  I bought my set through amazon..because I was feeling lazy and didn't want to enter my info again. I liked the fact that they are multi piece bits so you have the option to shim them if needed.  They are sized for a true 1/4" groove but I was using MDF core ply for the panels which came in right at 1/4"

The bits ship in a very basic wooden box with a set of shims.  I didn't end up needing to shim mine.  The cuts that I got in knotty alder were quite good.  Alder machines really well but I did end up cutting through a few knots and there wasn't any drama.  The only fitment issues I had with the parts were due to me trying to cut the groove on long pieces that weren't as straight as they should have been. I have not tried the bits in anything harder than alder but I would expect that they would do alright.  For a budget (~35 shipped) set of bits they more than met my expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more bits from those guys for those projects that need something special which probably won't get a lot of use.

I need to build a tool cabinet for the shop fo maybe I will break out these bits again and try them in some maple or something harder to give them a really good workout.  If I do I'll report back.