Feeling Good

Bobby Slack

I have been building a nightmare piece for my home and finally after facing my avoidance behaviour and grew up some cojones moved forward. All pieces are fitting well enough and the project will be completed ... I will NOT put a date.

The post is about feeling good, accomplished and getting stuff done. As Marc said many times, we need to come up with a series of steps and follow.

The issue is that this office bookcase/desk/files built in was pretty much built and designed on the fly.

Buenas Nachos.

I'd love some buenas nachos with a bowl of caliente salsa :)

Congratulations on the cajones; may you wear them well.

Personally, I think if you'd cue up Gotan Project instead of Astor Piazzolla, you'd feel revitalized and finish that puppy up before the next milonga. But I don't speak Spanish so maybe Astor's lyrics are upbeat, but since tango's roots are in the working class trying to have fun, hmm.

Paul.

Is cOjones lol. Another thing, Astor Piazzolla has an interesting history. Born in Argentina from Italian parents. At a young age he moved to New York because of opportunities and then moved back to Argentina.

AP's loved American composers and classical music, some modern (Bartok).

His music does not have that much lyrics. Two best CD's "Tango Zero Hour" and "57 minutes with reality" I think those two are his masterpieces. He played with Gerry Mulligan and Gary Barton.

So ... Piazzolla is more of a fusion of tango/jazz/bartok not much lyrics. A small amount of his catalog has lyrics and my favourite is "balada para un loco" balad for a mad man ... but you not only have to know Spanish but also "Lunfardo" which is slang from Buenos Aires.

Tango is my pick for dark gloomy winter days. Tango is nostalgia.

During the summer I move to bluegrass.

So here you have a Gaucho, jazz lover (Miles Davis, please don't play Kenny arghhhh) converted to a hillbilly bluegrass lover, turned hippie who loves jamb bands.

I'd love some buenas nachos with a bowl of caliente salsa :)

Congratulations on the cajones; may you wear them well.

Personally, I think if you'd cue up Gotan Project instead of Astor Piazzolla, you'd feel revitalized and finish that puppy up before the next milonga. But I don't speak Spanish so maybe Astor's lyrics are upbeat, but since tango's roots are in the working class trying to have fun, hmm.

Chorizo from Argentina is very similar to what the Italians have. Remember that we did not invent anything in Argentina, we are a country of immigrants just like the US.

Last summer in Colorado I was chatting with a neighbor from Louisiana telling her that we have a method of barbecuing "hanging" and animal and she said ... "couchon delay" ... again nothing is original.

If you are ever in Redondo Beach I will go to The Gaucho Meat Market and show you how we do it.

Chorizo is my go-to for inspiration. ;)

Honestly I did not give Gustavo Santaolalla the time and instead listened to Dino Saluzzi. I should listen to Gotan Project may be I will create a Pandora radio station based on Gotan.

Piazzolla and Saluzzi between others ... Santaolalla included are part of the Nuevo Tango movement. When Piazzolla started playing, the traditional tango guys would wait for him and try to beat him up. This was in the 50's. Tango guys as well as jazz fanatics become obsessive and passionate ... and opinionated. Kinda like some woodworkers who we all know :)

Oh, I know who Astor Piazzolla is. I have several Argentine friends :) Have a CD of his somewhere. I was suggesting Gotan Project as something you might like; nuevo tango and very very good. ¡Olé! Oh, wait, that's flamenco...

When life beats me up, I turn to chocolate. lol It doesn't even take much, to put my world back into perspective.

I have found that having multiple projects going at the same time, keeps things fresh. When I have looked at one project for too long, I get to the point where I find everything wrong with it. lol If I take a break from it and work on something else, it's surprising how much better it looks when I return to it.

SQ

• 2 weeks later...

Still feeling good. Today I planed (with my 13" Metabo portable planer) a whole bunch of wood and have it ready to start building three gates. The leftover sawdust put in bags filled three of my neighbors trash bins. Now I can get back to my office, rabbets are built. No avoidance behaviour, full steam ahead and ready to take on the challenge. Finished the day after cleaning the shop with my great friend Jim, we sat down, chatted, joked, trashed talked and had some Balvenie ... always good to have some single malt after a long day.

Ready for tomorrow morning work again at the shop. I missed the Lie-Nielsen travel show but that is OK I can always get my marking gauge online.

Adios and see you all at the shop tomorrow ... I hope you feel good as well.