Shop Cabinet Plans/Ideas

JoshC1501

I posted a reference to this over the introduce yourself forum but... figured this was the more appropriate place.

After completing my first big project, you quickly realize your shops' deficiencies.  I have several shop projects to do.

A better assembly table is a must, but I think I know what I am going to build for this.  What I can't seem to find are good plans/ideas for shop cabinets.  Any ideas?  I would like to build base and upper units, with the base units having full extension drawers only.

Any ideas or links would be appreciated.  I do know how to use sketchup, not great at it, but I can do it.  So I would really like to find some plans.  I am just not that confident in my abilities to design and build yet.  

Thanks

Josh

Marc has a "plan" under the GuildBuilds... I put it in quotations because it's customizable for your shop, not "set in stone" plans.

Also, there was an issue of Small Shop Builds (or something similar) this past December from Wood Magazine that had plans for a couple of cabinets inside.  I'll see if I can find my copy for you to do a better search.  (It was last in the reading room before I discovered the wood for the cabinet I'm building in there is too large for the space...)

Popular Woodworking have a downloadable pdf file called Workshop Storage Solutions. I got it as part of the one year digital subscription.

It contains the following:

• a lumber rack,
  • a 10 drawer tool chest 
  • an all in one cabinet
  • an arts and crafts tool cabinet (Swartz design)
  • a chisel rack
  • a sliding lid box
  • a German work box
  • a hand plane cabinet
  • a hanging tool cabinet
  • a mobile clamp cart
  • a saw blade box
  • a tradition saw bench
  • a saw bench/shop stool
  • a mitre saw stand
  • a copy of a Stanley tool cabinet
  • an outfeed table
  • a tool tote (for those who like Roy Underhill's tool tote)
  • an under saw cabinet
  • a wall hung tool rack 

Probably enough to keep us occupied for years in upgrading the shop.

Also the New Yankee Workshop has episodes in Season 12 (Ep #1 and #2) called "Garage Workshop" where he builds various shop storage cabinets. There are plans you can buy for that. Not sure how much they are but have a look at their website.

TerryMcK-- I am a digital subscriber to Popular Woodworking and I searched high and low for PDF you mentioned (Workshop Storage Solutions) and I can't find it anywhere on their site.  Can you provide a link or email me the PDF off-forum as I am eager to see the projects you mentioned.

Thanks, Jim

TerryMcK-- I am a digital subscriber to Popular Woodworking and I searched high and low for PDF you mentioned (Workshop Storage Solutions) and I can't find it anywhere on their site.  Can you provide a link or email me the PDF off-forum as I am eager to see the projects you mentioned.

Thanks, Jim

Ditto. Also subscribed and don't have that access. Those look great.

Thanks for looking guys, I really appreciate the help.  Particle board, I will post some dimensions when I get home.  Been traveling on the East Coast all week. Headed home in the morning.  Be glad to see the family and get back in my shop!!!  

I found these plans this morning, thoughts?

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2008/09/16/Modular-Shop-Cabinets.aspx

Josh

Thanks for looking guys, I really appreciate the help.  Particle board, I will post some dimensions when I get home.  Been traveling on the East Coast all week. Headed home in the morning.  Be glad to see the family and get back in my shop!!!  

I found these plans this morning, thoughts?

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2008/09/16/Modular-Shop-Cabinets.aspx

Josh

Just let me know ill put them up on Dropbox.

Thanks, Jim

Here it is Jim

http://www.shopwoodworking.com/popular-woodworking-magazine-one-year-digital-subscription

You may need to contact popwood to find out if they can send you the link to download it. It was originally sent me in an email.

Popular Woodworking Magazine - One Year Subscription - Digital
By Popular Woodworking

Format: Digital Magazine Subscription

Now you can get a digital subscription of Popular Woodworking Magazine. The issues are in an easy-to-search PDF format that works on almost all computers equipped with the free Acrobat Reader program. The issue is compatible with PCs and Mac.

Your first digital issue will be delivered in the confirmation email after your order. Watch for future emails containing the newest digital issue.

Discover Great Projects...New Techniques...and Money-Saving Tool Reviews PLUS SAVE MORE THAN 47%!

Subscribe today and get a free digital download of Workshop Storage Solutions!

With your subscription to Popular Woodworking magazine you'll get 7 issues at a savings of more than47% off the newsstand price!

See why woodworkers say Popular Woodworking is the most improved, and now their favorite magazine — the source for expert woodworking know-how. Here's why:

• Inspiring projects that build your skills and make your shop time more rewarding.
  • Technique articles from professional woodworkers including Mike Dunbar, Don McConnell, Ted Brown and Troy Sexton.
  • The best finishing methods by expert Bob Flexner.
  • Tool Reviews based on shop tests that arm you with the knowledge you need to make smart buying decisions.
  • A unique section - "Woodworking Essentials" - This ongoing series tackles a must-know topic from A to Z - like setting up shop, table saw use, rules for power tools, and more!
  • And much more!

Our Pledge to You

100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE!

You can cancel anytime, for any reason, no questions asked, and receive a prompt refund for any unserved issues.

SKU W6816 Author/Speaker/Editor Popular Woodworking Format Digital Magazine Subscription

If you need base and upper cut list post up your dimensions and ill lay up a cabinet for you. It only takes a few minutes, just need dimensions.

Once I started to measure, I realized some more planning is in order.  Need to sketch out a shop layout.  It might be a week or two before I send dimensions.  Thanks again PB.

Josh

I'm new to woodworking myself. My first project was a table for my Big Green Egg. As soon as that was finished I wanted to finish out my shop. Some cabinets were the first thing I did after finishing walls and adding outlets.

Tom Clark has a great book on practical shop cabinets. I just finished two with the goal of putting a miter station between them. I was going to build uppers as well, but currently have more storage space than I need. Very informative book. I'm proud of my cabinets since they were project #2 for me, but I certainly acknowledge that the craftsmanship of others certainly exceeds mine.

I'll include pictures but I literally just finished yesterday. No handles on one, and no finish yet

post-14344-0-58961900-1375677781_thumb.j

post-14344-0-87101800-1375677808_thumb.j

post-14344-0-41916700-1375677844_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'm new to woodworking myself. My first project was a table for my Big Green Egg. As soon as that was finished I wanted to finish out my shop. Some cabinets were the first thing I did after finishing walls and adding outlets.

Tom Clark has a great book on practical shop cabinets. I just finished two with the goal of putting a miter station between them. I was going to build uppers as well, but currently have more storage space than I need. Very informative book. I'm proud of my cabinets since they were project #2 for me, but I certainly acknowledge that the craftsmanship of others certainly exceeds mine.

I'll include pictures but I literally just finished yesterday. No handles on one, and no finish yet

beautiful , good job , looks better without the handles...

Sorry for the delay;... found the mag.

Big Ideas for small workshops, by Wood Magazine.  (special interest, don't have the link off hand, but I posted a photo link in another thread in shops within the last week.  )

now, off to sleep (where the best planning usually happens anyway.  The subconscoius figures out just how much I really need, and the conscious screws it up.)