What to put overtop of boiled linseed oil

Chuck Melton

I am pretty new to finishing, so please forgive my utter lack of products and techniques.

I was feeling guilty from not touching anything in my burgeoning woodshop since spring and decided to take a chunk of 8/4 walnut and make an ipad stand.

I sanded it down to 400grit and rubbed in boiled linseed oil, and I honestly love the way it looks and feels now. I thought about finishing it with some paste wax, but I think I want more protection on it.

I was thinking about putting on some Arm-R-Seal wiping varnish but I wasn't sure what luster I should go with.

Anyone have an opinion on keeping the look as close to what it is currently with some added protection?

post-13757-0-39844600-1377736270_thumb.j

My vote would also be for wax.  I did wax over BLO on my wife's walnut jewelry box and it came out great.  Apply the wax with a clean cloth and buff it out with a lambswool pad.  I use this stuff:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5345&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CMe5mOG4obkCFYWe4AodMwkAhg

I wouldn't do the Arm R Seal - it's not like it will take a ton of abuse, and a thick film finish might look funny on something that small.  Just my two cents.

Mel,

Thanks for sending me the photo of your mahogany table. I do love the warmth of the finish you have on there.

It's sounding like I might go with wax route, I was just worried about how much I am going to be using the stand (I'm a software developer and do a lot of work with the iPad, so it's probably in and out 6-8 times a day.)

Also, thanks for not pointing out my planer marks/burns on the wood. I thought I had sanded it all off until the BLO brought it out.

Live and learn.

Just do the same for me :) 

I really do believe the wax will be ok. If you get a scratch in it, just add some wax :)