Finishing methods for bowls.

Sammw1990

I have been turning for a year and taught myself nearly everything I know. I've been turning medium size bowls. To finish them I usually use tung oil. I cut the first coat with mineral spirits. This method gives the bowls some richness, but I want the bowls to have more of a glossy shine to them. There are just so many different finishes out there.

What are some other methods to try.

Also, these bowls are not specifically for food. So I'm not concentrating on making them food safe.

try a equal part shellac, denatured alch, and boiled linseed oil.  its is a easy finish, goes on smooth, and the layers will blend together easily.  can get a nice gloss to it.  not too bright that it shows every smudge not too mat that it just looks like oil.  3-4 layers and you will be happy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taJbBmcaAZQ

I use shellac based finished for most of my lathe work.  I start with a mixture of BLO, Shellac and DNA (equal parts) which I apply to the spinning piece with a small piece of paper towel.  I keep adding finish to keep it moist while building the finish to a nice sheen.  The oil in the mixture also tends to color the wood and highlight the grain.  The alcohol evaporates quickly so the concept of individual coats doesn't really apply.  It is more of a continuous process.

I let the finish harden for a few minutes and give it a quick rub with 400 grit.

The next step is to repeat the process using a shellac and wax finish.  I use Mylands friction polish, but there are several others available.  I alternate adding polish (slow speed) and buffing (higher speed) to bring out the shine.  I use paper towels for the buffing too.  The last application of polish is done with the lathe off, using a circular motion.  This eliminates the slight streaking from the applications while spinning the object.

The final step is a coat of wax.  I have tried paste wax, Mahoney's wax and neutral shoe polish (kiwi).  They all seem to work.

This finish is also easy to repair.  A couple of coats of friction polish followed by the wax is all it takes.  I buff it out by hand, but a buffing wheel could also be used.