Shop Vac system

don reilly

I know there probably is a topic on this but I cant find it so I'll ask it here.

Currently I just drag the hose around and connect it to the tool I'm using.

I have a Jet 1200cfm vacume system right now, it is used as a portable vac it has wheels, I have been rolling around in my mind making it more of a perminate item but I dont want to spend large amounts of money on ducting. my shop has a ceiling height of 10' 6 " and is 24' x 24' inside, I would like to run a main line of 8" rigid from the vac on the floor up to the ceiling and a main run down the center with 4" gated drops and with flexable toubing that can be attached to the tools being used all my tools are not perminatly mounted except for the radial arm saw which has the back wall, a wall to wall counter so I would have a perminate vac hose there, all the rest would be connected on a connect as I use.

my concern is will my vac have the power to pull the shavings from the tool in use up to the top and back to the bag.

I notice in some of the post I see vac systems doing that but there not pulling up 10' high either.

any views out there about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I know there probably is a topic on this but I cant find it so I'll ask it here.

Currently I just drag the hose around and connect it to the tool I'm using.

I have a Jet 1200cfm vacume system right now, it is used as a portable vac it has wheels, I have been rolling around in my mind making it more of a perminate item but I dont want to spend large amounts of money on ducting. my shop has a ceiling height of 10' 6 " and is 24' x 24' inside, I would like to run a main line of 8" rigid from the vac on the floor up to the ceiling and a main run down the center with 4" gated drops and with flexable toubing that can be attached to the tools being used all my tools are not perminatly mounted except for the radial arm saw which has the back wall, a wall to wall counter so I would have a perminate vac hose there, all the rest would be connected on a connect as I use.

my concern is will my vac have the power to pull the shavings from the tool in use up to the top and back to the bag.

I notice in some of the post I see vac systems doing that but there not pulling up 10' high either.

any views out there about this.

I won't pretend to know the actual capacity of your 1200 cfm unit, but I suspect it will work. I'd also suggest that you add a chip separator to the assembly. It won't add to you systems cfm, but it should keep you filter a little cleaner.

I won't pretend to know the actual capacity of your 1200 cfm unit, but I suspect it will work. I'd also suggest that you add a chip separator to the assembly. It won't add to you systems cfm, but it should keep you filter a little cleaner.

Sounds like a good idea, but what is a chip seperator? is that one of those collectors that some have. A pre vac container.

Sounds like a good idea, but what is a chip seperator? is that one of those collectors that some have. A pre vac container.

A chip collector is a lid that turns a bucket or garbage pail into a wanna-be cyclone. They are the easiest way to turn a run of the mill single stage dust collector into a 2-stage unit.

143868_400.jpg

Here's a link to Woodcraft's. Most woodworking retailers sell one model or another.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004310/8939/Mini-Dust-Collection-Separator.aspx

A chip collector is a lid that turns a bucket or garbage pail into a wanna-be cyclone. They are the easiest way to turn a run of the mill single stage dust collector into a 2-stage unit.

143868_400.jpg

Here's a link to Woodcraft's. Most woodworking retailers sell one model or another.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004310/8939/Mini-Dust-Collection-Separator.aspx

OK I see what you are talking about now, but if I have a bag at the bottom of the Jet Vac and the bag at the top isnt the principal the same with the bag set up it catches the chips in the bottom bag and the top bag is simular to a filter. it looks like another attachment for the vacume to move around with the hose.

I will have to think on this one, maybe a outside closet for the whole vacume and put the tubing through the wall that will elimiate all the dust.

OK I see what you are talking about now, but if I have a bag at the bottom of the Jet Vac and the bag at the top isnt the principal the same with the bag set up it catches the chips in the bottom bag and the top bag is simular to a filter. it looks like another attachment for the vacume to move around with the hose.

I will have to think on this one, maybe a outside closet for the whole vacume and put the tubing through the wall that will elimiate all the dust.

the principal is a bit different here, in that because the lid directs the air in circles around the pail, they slow down and the heavy ones fall to the bottom. The somewhat cleaner air is the sucked out of the pail and to the dust collector. As there is no actual filter component to the separator, it continues to pass air through it at the same rate until it is completely full.

I also have the DC1200 and I have set it up to draw from all of my major tools (Unisaw, 13" planer, 8" jointer, router table, band saw, 18" drum sander). I run it with dual 4" ports that split up the tools. The longest run is just over 25 feet and I have very good results. Just a few notes on this machine. Jet claims the draw is 1200 cu/ft min with a 4" flow, but according to what I have read, this unit should be able to provide at least a 600 cfm draw. Its impossible to know the true draw without the performance charts from the manufacturer. I think your plan to use the large diameter rigid lines should work, even with the 10 foot ceiling. Remember that every foot counts and try to maximize the use of the rigid pipe. Follow all of the recommendations for dust collection systems and seal up all the joints. The attached picture shows how my collector draws from a single main line and leads to a couple of drops. Here are some other things I did that I feel make my setup work.

1. I make sure only one blast gate is open at a time.

2. I empty the chip bag when it is about half full.

3. Each machine has been sealed with expanding foam and sealant to maximize the airtight integrity.

4. I moved my machines around a few times to find the best configuration.

I think you may want to verify what size pipe is best suited for the cfm capacity of this unit and the length of your longest run.

Also, here is a good link on modifying a DC1100 (the 1.5 hp version of the same collector) with a baffle to keep the filter from being clogged with fine dust. Check the Forum for "Dust Problem" to see the background. There are a few good books available, I'd recommend picking one up if you don't already have one.

http://http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=100.0

hec

post-1396-006705400 1287472936_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the DC1200 and I have set it up to draw from all of my major tools (Unisaw, 13" planer, 8" jointer, router table, band saw, 18" drum sander). I run it with dual 4" ports that split up the tools. The longest run is just over 25 feet and I have very good results. Just a few notes on this machine. Jet claims the draw is 1200 cu/ft min with a 4" flow, but according to what I have read, this unit should be able to provide at least a 600 cfm draw. Its impossible to know the true draw without the performance charts from the manufacturer. I think your plan to use the large diameter rigid lines should work, even with the 10 foot ceiling. Remember that every foot counts and try to maximize the use of the rigid pipe. Follow all of the recommendations for dust collection systems and seal up all the joints. The attached picture shows how my collector draws from a single main line and leads to a couple of drops. Here are some other things I did that I feel make my setup work.

1. I make sure only one blast gate is open at a time.

2. I empty the chip bag when it is about half full.

3. Each machine has been sealed with expanding foam and sealant to maximize the airtight integrity.

4. I moved my machines around a few times to find the best configuration.

I think you may want to verify what size pipe is best suited for the cfm capacity of this unit and the length of your longest run.

Also, here is a good link on modifying a DC1100 (the 1.5 hp version of the same collector) with a baffle to keep the filter from being clogged with fine dust. Check the Forum for "Dust Problem" to see the background. There are a few good books available, I'd recommend picking one up if you don't already have one.

http://http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=100.0

hec

Thanks for you post it has been helpful.

the principal is a bit different here, in that because the lid directs the air in circles around the pail, they slow down and the heavy ones fall to the bottom. The somewhat cleaner air is the sucked out of the pail and to the dust collector. As there is no actual filter component to the separator, it continues to pass air through it at the same rate until it is completely full.

thank you for your comment and how it works.