Blanket Chest

I am just starting on a blanket chest, and bought the wood today. My question is about the choice I made on the wood.

The chest will have exposed framing with the legs serving as the vertical frame members. The panels will be cherry (front, back, both ends and the top). I wanted a contrasting wood for the frame, and thought walnut wood be a good contrast. But, I had a lot of trouble finding walnut. I ran across a really good deal (I think) on African Mahagany, and bought that for the frame. Looking at the two woods in the rough, there is not much color difference between the cherry and the mahogany. I haven't worked with mahagany before so I am out of my element. Will the two woods contrast after finishing (I plan to use a natural oil finish of some sort) or will I need to deepen the color of the mahagany? If I will need to darken it, do you have any suggestions on what I could use.

By the way, I'm new here and this is my first post.

Welcome to the forum.

The degree of contrast you're looking for is somewhat subjective so only you can say if there's enough. Plane both woods and wet them. This will give you a good idea of what the final finish will look like. Keep in mind that both will darken somewhat over time. Also consider that grain can distinguish two types of wood with similar color. The Cherry is probably flat cut. If the Mahogany is quarter sawn, there may be enough difference in the two woods. If the contrast isn't enough, you can always stain the Mahogany.

Good luck!

isawit is getting to the heart of the matter here. The colors are not that different and especially over time I think the Cherry will darken more than the Mahogany. African Mahogany however has a very different grain than Cherry is open pores and a lot of ribbon grain. I think you will add a lot of character to the piece if you select your most figured sections of Mahogany for the panels and seek a redder hue for them while letting the Cherry age naturally. It will have a softer, pinker color to it at first then deepen over time.