Mortis and Tenon

harleydog

I am cutting some 1/2 mortises for a writing desk that I am making for my mother and father for Christmas. I am taking small passes with the 1/2 mortis chisel but the drill bit keeps binding up on me. I tried some wax on the drill bit thinking that it would make the drill less likely to bind up with chips but it accually make it worse. Any suggestions

I am cutting some 1/2 mortises for a writing desk that I am making for my mother and father for Christmas. I am taking small passes with the 1/2 mortis chisel but the drill bit keeps binding up on me. I tried some wax on the drill bit thinking that it would make the drill less likely to bind up with chips but it accually make it worse. Any suggestions

A coulpe things come t omind real quick - First, be sure that you have a little clearence between the bit and the chisle. I usually look for about 1/32" of clearence for chips. Also, if this is being used on a drill press, rather than a dedicated mortiser, make sure the drill press speed is up there. I like to have mine in the 1500-1700 range.

Start out there, and let up know how you make out.

Best,

Gregory

Five suggestions....

First, make sure the bit and chisel are sharp and you're getting wood shavings rather than chips. Second, try waxing your bit to help clear the shavings. Third, face the chisel extraction hole to the side or inside of the mortise. This will give a place for the chips to come out at full depth. Fourth, plunge slowly. Fifth, the placement of the tip of the bit relative to the points of the chisel is important. Adjust the bit up or down in the chisel until you get optimum cutting action.

And last but not least, if all else fails, buy a Domino and you'll never have this problem again. :)

The bit and chisel are new and very sharp. When I waxes the bit the clogging became worse. When you say "the placement of the tip of the bit relative to the points of the chisel is important" what do you mean? should the bit be prowed of the chisel or in side the chisel? This the third time I have used the mortiser and it is the first time I have had these issues. But it is also the first time I have used the 1/2 bit also.

Five suggestions....

First, make sure the bit and chisel are sharp and you're getting wood shavings rather than chips. Second, try waxing your bit to help clear the shavings. Third, face the chisel extraction hole to the side or inside of the mortise. This will give a place for the chips to come out at full depth. Fourth, plunge slowly. Fifth, the placement of the tip of the bit relative to the points of the chisel is important. Adjust the bit up or down in the chisel until you get optimum cutting action.

And last but not least, if all else fails, buy a Domino and you'll never have this problem again. :)

Guest Mahoganus

The bit and chisel are new and very sharp. When I waxes the bit the clogging became worse. When you say "the placement of the tip of the bit relative to the points of the chisel is important" what do you mean? should the bit be prowed of the chisel or in side the chisel? This the third time I have used the mortiser and it is the first time I have had these issues. But it is also the first time I have used the 1/2 bit also.

Here ya go

• 2 weeks later...

A coulpe things come t omind real quick - First, be sure that you have a little clearence between the bit and the chisle. I usually look for about 1/32" of clearence for chips. Also, if this is being used on a drill press, rather than a dedicated mortiser, make sure the drill press speed is up there. I like to have mine in the 1500-1700 range.

Start out there, and let up know how you make out.

Best,

Gregory

what is a mortiser chisel, iam new at woodworking just trying to understand the lingo lol my name is t-bone