Polyurathane vs Plexiglass

Chris H

I just finished a display case for a customers military cap/metals.  I used Plexiglas and sprayed a poly finish.  I covered the glass with blue 3m tape/paper, however in the very edges have some residue on them.  I have attempted to use "Goo-Gone", and soap an water, but it is still there.  Any recommendations that won't scratch plexi but can lift poly off it?  It looks great from a few feet away, but once you get in close, its not so great.

Thanks in advance!

If it's something that could be scraped off you can use a scrap piece of the same poly (plexi is just a brand name for it's generic name polycarbonate) sanded down to a fine edge (think of a razor scraper).  Since they are the same hardness one will not scratch the other :).  I do this all the time when making new portlights for boats. 

Most chemicals will damage poly (turns it cloudy), but you can use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and warm water for cleanup. 

As always do some testing, but this should take care of it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the suggestions!  I think I will try the scrap poly scraper version.  Sanding/buffing would be difficult because the acrylic is set in a finished project, so I would damage the wood trying to repair the acrylic, and then it's a vicious cycle. 

Thank you all, it is much appreciated!

Update:  The scrap sanded into a scraper worked magnificently!  Thank you so much.

post-7224-0-80045100-1389746718_thumb.jp