First router

bignoise

I'm an apprentice carpenter and the router is a tool that I haven't really explored the possibilities of. I use it now and again at work but I spend more of my time on site than in the workshop.

I would like to try some projects at home/boss's workshop and would like to buy my own router as I prefer working with my own tools. I would appreciate any recommendations for a good quality investment all rounder router.

Cheers

What ever brand of router you decide to buy, I'd suggest a router combo that comes with a fixed base and a plunge base. Here's a link to five combo router reviews.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/routers/tp/Best-5-Combo-Router-Kit-Values.htm

When I bought my router I did a lot of research and asked around on a couple of different forums including the "Router Forums." The answer that consistently came back as the best all around router for a beginner is the Bosch 1617evspk which is the combination fixed base and plunge router. Things I like about it include the ability to raise and lower the router from above a table (assuming your router plate has a hole drilled in the right place) and the overall sturdiness of the unit.

Hope that helps.

Oh and unless you are rolling in the dough I'd steer clear of the festool stuff. It may be nice but I don't think it is 2 to 3 times as nice as Routers like the Bosch.

I have 3 routers... One cheap 2.25 HP that is in a dedicated router lift that I use only in my table, a rigid trim router and the Triton MOF001.

I've had the Triton for a couple years now and it's fantastic. It's a plunge router that operates like any standard plunge router, but it also has the capability to move on a rack and pinion system which is very convenient. In addition to that, it also has a micro-adjustment which is great for fine tuning the bit like when I use it on my leigh dovetail jig. Bit changes are easily done with only one wrench due to the spindle lock. It all comes in a large sturdy case that protect it when moving from site to site.

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm guessing that this is the same as the 1617evs but renamed for the uk market. If so then the is basically £100 between the festool and the bosch.

So....do you think I should save a tad more and get the festool or is it overindulging and I should use the £100 quid to buy cutters and other accessories?

hmmmm :blink:

I bought the porter-cable combo kit when I started. Very happy with the router but.... Not the best choice for a router table if/when I wanted to go that route because it just doesn't have enough HP.

it was recommended to me to go for at least a 3HP if I wanted to do table work.

I think the one I have is two and some change

Cheers for the feedback.

I'm guessing that this is the same as the 1617evs but renamed for the uk market. If so then the is basically £100 between the festool and the bosch.

So....do you think I should save a tad more and get the festool or is it overindulging and I should use the £100 quid to buy cutters and other accessories?

Yes, that is the same as our 1617evs. 1400W is the same power as the OF-1400 (duh). For 100 quid, I'd think the Festool would be better, but I have green glasses. BTW, I've always been told Axminster has the best prices for both (yes, kiddies, in the UK they sometimes discount Festool).

I burned up a 2 HP Craftsman in my router table a few years back. That has been replaced with a 3 HP Porter Cable and I love it. I also have a 2.25 HP Ryobi kit with three bases (std, plunge and D handle) that has been great so far. When I first got it I heard horror stories regarding Ryobi, but I've had it for about 5 years now and my experience has been great. I find Festool interesting, but I have a hard time justifying the expense... maybe if I go pro..

The Festool is worth the added cost if you value dust collection and it's ability to integrate with the Festool system - guide rails, MFS, etc. Otherwise, I'd save the cash and buy the Bosch.

Joe

Are router bit sets worthwhile or should I just start accumulating individual ones as I go?

I like the idea of buying a moderate quality router bit set, especially if you get a good deal on it, and then replace the bits you wear out or use frequently with high quality ones. The problem with buying individual bits as you need them is that you can't easily try out a bunch of profiles to see which looks best in a particular application.