sellers permit

fyrman38

What you'll be required to have as far as licensing and such is often a case of what your state and/or local government requires. You'll want to check with your business laywer or accountant to be sure. If you have neither, and assuming you're in the US, then track down the Small Business Center at your local community college. Most oftern the SBC director will offer free consulting, and advice as far as what it will take to get you up and running, and in compliance with local & state laws. Another resource is the chamber of commerce - I know that the one in the county I'm located in has a nice pamphlet they hand out titled "Doing business in Haywood County", and it covers the bulk of what you need to know to get started.

Hope this helps.

-gp

Yeah, a "seller's permit" is a new one on me too. In IL all you need to do what I do is a DBA (doing business as) and if you want, a tax id. Being a sole proprietor at the moment (moving to LLC) selling one of a kind pieces, I'm not considered retail. So, I would consult with an accountant who understands art businesses. A lot of them don't, so screen them carefully. Otherwise you do end up paying for permission and permits that you never needed to being with.