Tool Gloat

Jim DaddyO

With my continuing journey of exploration into woodworking, and listening to the lads on the chat, I figured it was time to invest in some hand planes. I met a guy at a once a year flea market in town and bought a spokeshave from him. I got his contact info and went to see him yesterday. He literally has a barn full of tools, I went through a bunch of his planes and came out with 6 of them for $110 Cdn, he threw in a Stanley Sweetheart marking guage. Using the internet to date the tools, I get:

#7 Stanley Sweetheart from 1919 - 1924

#6 Stanley from 1910 - 1918

#5 Bailey from 1910 - 1918

#4 Record from 1931 - 1939

#3 Bailey from about 1907

Block plane of undetermined date made by Great Neck

and the marking guage

The #5 and #3 have corregated bottoms. All need a bit of work and will be "users" when I get done with them.

DSC_4541.jpg

DSC_4546.jpg

DSC_4547.jpg

The #7 is starting to come along. The frog is nice and flat and mates to the base nicely. Flattening the sole and sides is taking some time, not that it is out much, but there is a lot of surface area to work. I fixed the tote by epoxying it and had to do a bit of re-shaping as it did not want to line up exactly. There was not a whole lot of rust to remove...this is going to take some time to move through all the grits though. The Sweatheart logo is now more visible, I like that.

DSC_4559.jpg

DSC_4560.jpg

DSC_4569.jpg

DSC_4563.jpg