what is a shaper???

gardnesd

Shapers are production machines and are used more often in industrial woodworking shops. The shapers have more power and the cutters are larger and more expensive.

Router tables give up production for versatility. They are great for short run projects. There are things you can do with a router table that you can not do with a shaper.

The typical woodworker could get by without ever using a shaper

a table mounted router is basically a light-weight shaper.

a shaper runs off of induction motors, so it can run for a longer time and handle heavier cuts than a router. it is also quieter then a router. cutterheads can get quite large, meaning it can cut coves and profiles that would be too big for a router to handle.

a shaper also can run in both directions which is good for curved cuts where the wood grain changes directions in the middle of the cut (although a reverse cutter is also required for this). this limits tearouts in those scenarios.

as mentioned - a shaper is not really a necessity for most woodworkers.

If you are using your router table for box making - more than likely that a shaper would be unnecessary, but if you are making frame&panels (kitchen remodeling, furniture, remodeling in general, etc) than a shaper will really come in handy and reduce the noise, time, and effort of that process.

About bits - the bits are more expensive as they are bigger and take bigger bites, shaper cutters usually have 3-4 knives in them compared to 2 knives in router bits. this also means shaper cutters last longer.

you can also mount router bits in a shaper, although not as effective as using larger cutters - it can be a cost effective work around (although the smaller diameter, and reduced number of knives if not optimal)

Guest Mahoganus

a table mounted router is basically a light-weight shaper.

a shaper runs off of induction motors, so it can run for a longer time and handle heavier cuts than a router. it is also quieter then a router. cutterheads can get quite large, meaning it can cut coves and profiles that would be too big for a router to handle.

a shaper also can run in both directions which is good for curved cuts where the wood grain changes directions in the middle of the cut (although a reverse cutter is also required for this). this limits tearouts in those scenarios.

as mentioned - a shaper is not really a necessity for most woodworkers.

If you are using your router table for box making - more than likely that a shaper would be unnecessary, but if you are making frame&panels (kitchen remodeling, furniture, remodeling in general, etc) than a shaper will really come in handy and reduce the noise, time, and effort of that process.

About bits - the bits are more expensive as they are bigger and take bigger bites, shaper cutters usually have 3-4 knives in them compared to 2 knives in router bits. this also means shaper cutters last longer.

you can also mount router bits in a shaper, although not as effective as using larger cutters - it can be a cost effective work around (although the smaller diameter, and reduced number of knives if not optimal)

Exactly

Sure makes raised panel doors a piece of cake.

Shapers are production machines and are used more often in industrial woodworking shops. The shapers have more power and the cutters are larger and more expensive.

Router tables give up production for versatility. They are great for short run projects. There are things you can do with a router table that you can not do with a shaper.

The typical woodworker could get by without ever using a shaper

I've never found anything I can do with a router table that I cannot do with my spindle moulder (shaper) But, there are masses of things I can do with my moulders that would be impossible with a router table set up. I agree they are considerably less expensive and are great for short runs.

That being said one of my moulders is quite a unique design it will traverse horizontally 300 mm rise and fall 500mm and rotate through 318 degrees. It also has a separate spindle capable of holding router cutters with shaft sizes from 6mm to 26mm.

It all depends on what you want to do. For short runs and light cuts go for the router table but for big mouldings or heavy all day use you will have to consider a shaper

Pete

“Dados, mortises, and other blind inside excavations are not possible with shapers, nor are dovetails, a distinct advantage for the router table.” taken from "The Router Book".

see my post above - you can use router bits on shapers - meaning you can do dovetails, dadoes and bling inside excavations.

the book may be misleading - a shaper cutter that is bolted on a 1/2" - 1 1/4" shaper spindle cannot do through cuts - that would be the correct way to put it. but if using a router bit with a router bit collet for the shaper, those cuts are easily done just like with a regular router plus or minus (plus the quality of the cut may not be as good since it's rotating slower, and minus would be minus the noise)

I don't want to get into a dispute but, dados are more than possible with shapers. I simply turn my spindle through 90 degrees and pass the work over the top at virtually any distance from the edge I choose.

On the cost front it is worth mentioning that if you buy standard blocks which are expensive initially (around 100€) the cutters that can be inserted into them are almost limitless and are much cheaper than any router bit. Here in Europe it is easily possible to buy a pair of cutters for less than 30€ even with the latest regulations that demand a limiter as well they are regularly under 40€. It really is all a matter of what you intend to do. Light small batch work buy a router table. Heavier, more units per job work buy a shaper.

Pete