x

elwoodblues

I don't have the cash to drop for a canister system (I'm running a cheap HF 1 HP DC and want as little dust coming out of the bag as possible, that is until I can build up enough money to purchase a nice system). I know health is at the utmost importance, but so is not upsetting the lady with a 700 dollar canister system that I dream about.

I'm in there with you. Have you considered the Oneida Dust Deputy? For about $60 they sell the bare-bones funnel, which you can attach to a bucket or pail (or a trash can, with enough ingenuity). The only problem I have with the Dust Deputy is that it's sized more for a shop vacuum than a DC system.

But others have better experience than I. And since I'm well aware of it... I haven't purchased one myself.

As for theory, I believe you want to keep the diameter of the pipe fairly consistent. Only reduce it when you get near the tool, so you don't cause havoc with the air flow and suction. If I remember right, the HF 1HP unit has an intake port of 4" ID, so I'd stay fairly close to that as you plumb your lines.

In an aside, I got an email from Harbor Freight with a coupon for their bigger DC system, good until October 31, for $169.99. Alas, you cannot combine that with the 20% coupon they have in several magazines, but the sale price is dropping as we approach the end of the year. Keeping your eye out for bargains as time progresses may actually save you in the long run. (Keep in mind, I am still (*grumble grumble*) trying to pay off my layaway from February.)

My guess is that any dust that can make it out of the first barrel would also make it out of the second. Except that you'd be adding resistance, which would slow down your air, so more stuff would drop out. But you'd also be slowing down the air at the tool, so you'd collect less dust to begin with. I think doubling up would be a bad idea.

If I were you I'd start by replacing the trashcan separator with a Thien. I like the idea of using larger duct to reduce the air speed, as long as you have some way to clean out the dust that will settle out when the air slows down.

If Pentz is right and I understand him correctly, there are only two ways to protect yourself and your family from the smallest, most dangerous particles: send the air outside, or run it through a high quality filter. The cyclone or Thien is just a way to keep the filter from clogging so fast, or to avoid annoying your neighbors.

I have had similar problem with dust, I went first with a different filter on top of my DC, but it soon clogged up. Read what I did here, Dust Issues, So far it is working with a little bit of dust and the suction is greater too.

But I would have to agree with the others, do not double up, just do more homework and find a better solution. For me the Thien Separator was the best for the money.

Good luck