Polisher/Buffer

NYHump

Hi All,

Any suggestion on a small polisher/buffer? I have many boxes I have made and will use shellac and then wax so I would like to use a small polisher/buffer to save some time and my arm!

I have been looking at the porter cable 7424 but it looks a little big for what I need.

Thanks

NYHump

How about rubbing your shellac with your ROS sander using high grit Abralon sanding pads.

abralon_discs_lg.jpg

Wet sanding your shellac with a 4000 grit will take you to a gloss finish or use a 1000 grit pad will take you to satin finish. Then go over your rubbed surface with a good hand wax, like General Finishes satin wax, just to add that extra smooth slick feel. :) :) :)

M-SATIN_WAX-Polish.jpg

You can purchase the Abralon sanding pads form this guy Abralon Sanding Pads

-Ace-

Opps I forgot about this, if ya don't want to go on the wild side and rub-out with Abralon

lambswool.jpg

These are hook and loop lambs wool pad and should fit on your RO Sander. You can purchase from the same guy above that sells the Abralon Sanding Pads. Lambs Wool Pad

-Ace-

Ace,

What I'm looking for is a RO Sander. Something light and small. maybe 4"

Ugh......well I have seen the little compressed air 90 deg sanders and are random orbit, probably 2" pads...but don't know if you can find any "buffing" pads for them unless you get creative and make one???? The lambs wool one I posted above, I think fit a 5" ROS.

Wut ya trying to do, polish the inside of a constructed box?<_<

-Ace-

Ace,

What I'm looking for is a RO Sander. Something light and small. maybe 4"

Festool has a new baby Rotex sander rumored to hit our shores in 2011 - RO 90 DX. It has a 3.5" diameter pad. I don't know the cost or available accessories. If it follows suit with the current crop of Rotex sanders, it'll have many available polishing accessories and outstanding performance.

Ugh......well I have seen the little compressed air 90 deg sanders and are random orbit, probably 2" pads...but don't know if you can find any "buffing" pads for them unless you get creative and make one???? The lambs wool one I posted above, I think fit a 5" ROS.

Wut ya trying to do, polish the inside of a constructed box?<_<

-Ace-

Jewelry boxes to be exact.

Festool has a new baby Rotex sander rumored to hit our shores in 2011 - RO 90 DX. It has a 3.5" diameter pad. I don't know the cost or available accessories. If it follows suit with the current crop of Rotex sanders, it'll have many available polishing accessories and outstanding performance.

That's what I'm looking for. A small compact unit, one handed polisher/buffer to get into small places. Hopefully my project will be done b4 this comes out, so can't wait till next year. Is nothing available in this size now? From anyone?

Thanks

Thanks Ace, off to the shop to do by hand. I'll check it out tonight after my arm falls off :)

NYHump, based on the link that Ace supplied, go here and then go to page 9 and look at item “4615555” as well as the note below on “Optional Polishing Pad”. Sounds like a good fit for your need. Hopefully a local Ryobi dealer could help you, or at least let you look at and hold the sander and find out why the note says “…allows you to easily fit the optional wax applicator/polishing pads…”.

Ace is spot on.

Another avenue you could take is with steel wool. I've wet sanded projects with steel wool on shellac with good success. It does require a bit of arm work, but it not terrible. ;)

Ben,

Right now I have 4 coats of shellac on my jewelry boxes. I am sanding down with 220 sandpaper to smooth out the surface and then applying (rubbing) in my wax with 0000 steel wool and then buffing it out. Do you have a easier way? What liquid do you wet sand with? I have many boxes and I'm looking for a faster way to do it with the same results. This is taking more time then I expected not to mention my arm is killing me (rotator cuff surgery 3 months ago) :o

Thanks,

NYHump

What about that polish ball? I believe it's one of the Mother's brand of waxes and finishes. It's a big red sponge (or layers of sponges) that are shaped like either a ball or a cone, and are usually found in the automotive aisles.