Jet 22/44 Drum Sander

foto45steve

So I'm get ready to take the plunge and buy a new drum sander. I like everything about the Jet 22/44 drum, I just can't decide if it is worth an extra $400 to get the oscillating. My problem is that I only get one chance which makes me lean towards the oscillating as I can always turn it off, but seems like a waste if I never use it. I'm a serious hobbyist doing a lot of unique furniture pieces and cabinets for myself and friends.

I would love to hear from people that have used both.

It's worth it. Without it, you'll get these nice lines in every board you run through the sander that have to then be....sanded out. With the OS head, it takes care of that next step for you. I have a non-os head and wish everyday I did have it. I can't see how a person would think it's a waste of money, but I'm sure there are. ;)

Well I'll be that guy here for a moment ;) ;) ;) With my non oscillating drum sander, I do sand through the grits usually stopping at 120. The straight line scratch of 120 is rather minimal and I can sand those away very easily when I finish sand with my random orbit sander. I guess what is the point of spending $400.00 for the oscillating feature, does it save you that much time?

-Ace-

• 1 month later...