Outdoor Furniture

JcMcGrath

OK, Diving in for the first time - never asked anyone to look at anything of mine yet (wow that sounds weird, but I digress...)

While this is not a representation of the incredible workmanship as I have viewed in this room, I am looking for thoughts on Design.

This is a recycle project.

Left-over fence posts, AB plywood and parts of my sons young ceder bed. Basically like many, I just cannot get rid of wood. But space is running out. My wife has asked for so long to get some things going outside that I was pleased to get this piece going.

Again, legs of planter and seat beams started life as treated 4x4 fence poles, squaring them off, then ran 3/4 or so dado down each planter leg 1" deep to accept 3/4 plywood. The top is red ceder just finished with waterproofing.

Do not care for a lot of painted wood projects but the greenish hue of treated wood just wouldn't work :) SO all got coated with exterior black paint.

Otherwise, very straight forward - legs/bench beams are rabbited ? notched so they make the down angle. Then rabbited to sit on panels of planter. Drove 5/16 lag bolts from inside to secure. Trusting Titebond III to keep everyone glued together. Copper is from Son's bed as well that was part of foot board and just adds a modern or design touch.

SO - I followed Marc's suggestions on how to post by being VERY long winded, but I truly respect so much work I see in the Guild (Proud Member) and the WW site that I do look forward to any comments. Part two now that the Wife sees this and loves it is a planter to match long horizontal which I will mimick the design of this one.

Thanks!

Jon

post-51-0-84059500-1288729370_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-88685700-1288729380_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-07671800-1288729396_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-79049600-1288729410_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-67298700-1288729419_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Clean lines and well proportioned. What wood did you use for the seats? Miter joints? Splined? A nice soft plant will contrast with the straight lines and give it even more interest.

Great job!

Thanks! Used the same - 4x4 material for seats - Miterd the ceder top of planter. The legs/seat are 2 rabbits together and pinned. There may be a joint name for that - I don't know but they fit flush together 2 L's Thanks for the comments. YES on plant - I am awaiting to see what my queen decides for that :)

That's awesome great work. That frame on top of the planter is tough. Four sided mitered frames are tough to get so tight fitting like that. I really like the mixed media by adding the copper too. No wonder your wife wants you to make something else.

Wow, thanks so Much it means a lot. Yes the miters are tough and one which I try to work into everything possible where there is no structual need, for nothing else but the practice. Again thanks I am a huge fan of your work and enjoy your input in WTO.

Yes, there is a bit more leftovers of the same materials so now a 6' long by 2' wide Bamboo planter will join this. In hopes of a few dry days may have it painted and in the sun within a week. As long as my REAL job does not get in the way LOL...

JCM

I, but more importantly my wife, like it very much for all the reasons previously mentioned. Clean lines and well executed!

Thanks Vic, hope i don't create more work for you... This however is keeping my wife from ripping pages out of Pottery Barn and wallpapering the inside of my work area with them. LOL thanks for the comments - have a good one.