WoodTalk episodes redownloaded on iPhone

HunterL

I have no clue if this is my fault or a result of the site/server/whatever change, but a few days ago I opened the podcast app on my iPhone and every episode of Woodtalk started downloading (I was not on WiFi)!

I was able to cancel it but I'm really glad I caught it before it really got going. It doesn't upset me at all, I just wanted to put my experience out there so others can be on the lookout. Make sure your settings restrict episodes and downloading over Wifi, etc.

Whenever a feed is changed behind the scenes, podcast apps can interpret all shows as "new" even though they obviously aren't. My suggestion would be to look at your default podcast settings or the settings for each podcast you subscribe to. Make sure you don't have it set to download "all episodes" or "all unplayed". On the iPhone podcast app there's a setting called Limit Episodes. I set mine to 2 most recent. For shows you listen to as they come out, this setting makes sure you don't miss anything but makes you immune from back-end rss changes. 

And my apologies for making a change like that. I only do it when it's absolutely necessary and unfortunately there's no way around it.

Marc - Happy to hear by the way, from a recent WTO, that some of your video-content may be moving back to the 'longform' style (I'm severely paraphrasing a 15 minute WTO discussion on the topic). 

Really good stuff.  I think some of those older and very in-depth videos are what convinced a lot of folks to check out the guild.

• Like 1

Sorry for my tech ignorance here, but is there another way to download the show to my iphone for car listening other than itunes (which still doesn't seem to work)?

I got that soundcloud app but it seems to just stream it rather than download the show so I can listen without using 4G.

The feeds should be fixed in iTunes now. Try it again. That said, you can download the file via the download link in the Soundcloud player or the Download link right under the player. But this refers to the desktop version of the site. Many devices can't actually download files directly and instead only stream them. So if you download the file on your computer you can sync it to whatever program you use. But try iTunes again or your podcast app. The feeds should be fixed now.