spaying for first tim

Jim_

Always read the finish manufactures recommendations regarding re-coat times. :o Finishing all in one day is not possible in certain to most situations. :( Topcoats, whether oil or water-based need to dry-back some and be smoothed and or scuffed for adhesion of the next coat, especially on mid-coats.

For daily use between coats do you clean the gun? I’m not of the mind that a spray gun is a good substitute for storing finish, that’s what paint can’s do! I hear guys talk, they will keep finish in their spray guns for days. My suggestion is DON’T, especially with water-based, heck, any finish for that matter.:angry: All it takes is a little hardened finish and your spray gun transforms into a royal pain in the A** Don’t be lazy, clean that gun at the end of each day. BUT, BUT, BUT during the day all you really need to do after a coat is, leave the finish in the cup and toss the aircap in a jar to soak in your cleaner of choice and give the fluid nozzle a good wipe.

What to use to Clean a spray gun;

Water-based finishes - I like to shoot hot water, then I will shoot some denatured alcohol as final clean.

Oil-based finishes – I shoot typically mineral spirits or naphtha, then wash through water, then a final shot with lacquer thinner.

That just me and what I do :)

-Ace-