Design Programs

jotaylor

Hi!  I have been using sketchup make for about a year and I haven't pretty good with it, but am having issues with it and my mac (common from what I understand).  I don't have a problem continuing to use it if the problems stop, but what I am really looking for is a program where I can make the components and have it saved so I don't have to create them every design that I start (not sure if pro offers that or not) and even more importantly I really want a cut list to give to the builder to make it easier for him to rock and roll once the customer approves the design.  

I was seeing there are plug ins for SU make that you can get to do cut lists but they all require that you grant access to your personal files and such and I am just not comfortable with that especially with the problems I have been having since SK required that I update to Yosemite on my mac.

I would love to know what others use and why you like it.  

Thanks

Jo

I work for a small cabinet shop as a subcontractor and the owner of the business uses SketchUp Pro on a mac for all his drawings. I think a program called "SketchList" was designed with woodworkers in mind and has an integrated cultist generator but it is a clumsy application to do anything besides boxes with. I also know if you buy SketchUp Pro you get "layout" which really helps communicate to both clients and your builder. You can create an orthographic PDF file with dimensions on it essentially creating a blueprint. It isn't a cultist, but after receiving a print out from my boss I can create a cultist that maximizes the yield of my materials in, for me, about 15 minutes to a half hour for a full kitchen. I do not know if a computer would be more efficient at this, since you will still have to go through and label every different material on the front end, and then trust that everything in the drawing is immaculate, and then still have to go through all the numbers and make sure you aren't creating a ton of waste when you start breaking down your sheet goods (or selecting the best solid boards for the job). If you are unsure it is worth the money, you can download the 2015 version and try the pro option for 30 days even with an older version of SketchUp installed on your computer (or at least I somehow managed to do this).

For my own business I have started using sketchup on my mac after many free trials of other design programs. i do not have an external mouse, or a fully functioning trackpad (it does not click anymore, just taps) and have found a way to make it work for the time being without having any glitches. Most of my problems arise as soon as i start adding angles to things, because the rectangle tool wants to continue to draw parallel to the xyz axis, instead of parallel to the angled component. A huge pain for designing chairs and benches. there is a new tool in SketchUp 2015 that is an angled rectangle tool that solves this problem without having to resort to the line tool to create a rectangle. 

but what I am really looking for is a program where I can make the components and have it saved so I don't have to create them every design that I start 

As far as saving components or groups to repeat in designs... I imagine you could create a "master file" with all the things you want to repeat, and copy and paste from that into every new drawing. 

If you want to completely switch systems, I have heard good things from other furniture makers and craftspersons about Rhinoceros, something about being able to  make curved lines easier. I also enjoyed using Form-z, which has good tools for designing turned work.

I hope your business the best, and that some of this rambling helped. I am still learning how to use these programs to my best advantage as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it was very helpful! I am in the process of going to Apple to have them reinstall the OS so that I can try to use the newest version of SU and hope the crashing stops.  I worked on a simple design and it took 3 hours (some info not clear from the builder who met with the customer) and it crashed 3 x and I had to start over 2x before I started saving every few steps (which is annoying).  Also am so over how slow the rest of my computer runs, I hope to be back to where I should be next week and working towards having some of the easier aspects.

I like the sound of the layout, we do a lot of closets so everything is pretty much going to be 14" deep and whatever height.  Right now I have to go in and add all of the dimensions so that he can put it together.  

Thats a good idea about doing a master file, and then saving the drawing in "save as" to create a different file.  I will be definitely using that one!

I have also had some real issues doing a closet with some weird angles as you are right it wants to stay on the axis.

My husband is dying to chairs!

Thanks for all of the insight I really appreciate it, and am looking forward to streamlining my process.  And getting better at SU!