Trying to play guitar every day

Bobby Slack

Hey guys, any acoustic players there? My singing scares my dogs and my wife will leave the house when I sing ... and that is love for you!

I am trying to find time while my wife is not here to practice a bit of guitar playing and ... howling.

Also trying to get back to the gym, and the only way for me to do it is 5 AM. I used to run sprints, jump rope, and do all kinds of weights ... lately, I just get on the elliptical machine for 1000 calories, stretch and situps, what a sad world ... I am getting old and weak.

No competitive tennis for a while.

So there you go, these are my off woodworking passions.

Ah ... of course # 1 my wife # 2 my dogs. Every day one hour walking with them in the trails and doing my part cleaning after others.

Both sons play guitar, and a couple of other instruments. I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. I have tried to learn how to read music, but not to hard. Management and the boys and their wives all give me a rough time about whatever they are listening to when I ask why they are so enthraled with people who have confused loud with talented. I think I will take up the Bagpipes..................

I think I will take up the Bagpipes..................

:) in which case if you aren't in tune, it might be better!

When I was a kid and first saw bagpipes in Canada, I asked my dad what they were. He wasn't a fan. He said they put two cats in the bag and that's the noise they make when you squeeze them. :lol:

I try to pick it up everyday. I go to a jam every week that is about 4 hours long. That makes the finger pads build up. My voice? I don't sing....my dad always used to say I had a good voice for cooling soup.....and he was right. I play the electric too, just got a Fender G-DEC amp that I can plug the headphones into and play to backing tracks etc. Has several digital models of amps and effects that sound amazing.

Nice! well, since this weekend my consistency is pretty good (Friday - Sat - Sun - Monday). I am sticking with one song for now "handle with care".

My other instrument is a mandolin. Collins A style, plays nice.

I try to pick it up everyday. I go to a jam every week that is about 4 hours long. That makes the finger pads build up. My voice? I don't sing....my dad always used to say I had a good voice for cooling soup.....and he was right. I play the electric too, just got a Fender G-DEC amp that I can plug the headphones into and play to backing tracks etc. Has several digital models of amps and effects that sound amazing.

Hey, I be acoustic guitarist about as much as I be woodworker(and that ain't saying much)... But enthusiasm and passion counts, right? I learned back in the '70s when a leather jacket, an acoustic guitar, and a Porsche(or some combination thereof) would get you In Like Flynn with the ladies.:rolleyes: Never could afford that Porsche but me and my Takamine and my Beetle had some good times.... "Youth is wasted on the young", wish I could remember who said that... either Sam Clemens or W.C. Fields, whoever, he was dead on the money!

I bought a D-28 kit back in 2006, I'm thinking it might be acclimated by now..... ;) A glue pot is starting to sound like a nice

To: Me

Christmas present, especially since I now have a spray rig...

All seriousness aside, consistent practice is essential to learning guitar. And not just playing songs, set aside some time every day for practicing chord changes and scales. Look at the songs you like, figure out the chord arrangement and then break it down to simple changes and do 30 or 50 reps of each at a time.Then make a list of all the chords you know in alphabetical order. Go in that order and play 30 changes to all the other chords in alphabetical order. Do one starting chord a night, it won't take that long. Repeat the cycle a couple of times and you'll be amazed at what your fingers have learned.

Playing guitar is all about muscle memory. You might know in your head all about where a chord progression needs to go but if you have to stop and think where you need to put which finger on which string and how hard to press each one down it all falls apart. A guitar is just another hand tool and if your hands haven't worked with it enough to know how to handle it on their own your brain just can't keep up and the result is a mess. "Practice makes perfect", right?

(Interlude for a little "up close and personal time" with Nancy)

post-1150-0-59979100-1290658274_thumb.jp

I'm back, I need a smoke... :D And the wife doesn't even mind....

But you get what I'm saying, right? Practice until the hands know that when the brain says "C" hands know that means third finger, A string third fret, etc. and there's no thinking past "play a C" involved. It's not complicated, just a matter of doing it enough that it comes naturally. Like riding a bicycle or making a left turn or trimming a dovetail... Muscle memory is what it's all about and the only way to develop that is just to Do It!

HTH,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I am practicing every day a little bit. I found a guy online "Delta Blues Tips" all acoustic who I follow. The only problem is that since I bite my nails, no finger picking for me.

Years ago I got back in guitar and I treated myself with a guitar way beyond my abilities and was a Martin Golden Era reproduction which they are making these years plus another cheaper version of Martin for camping. Yes I take a Martin camping because I take it as a luxury, some guys have a 60K porsche, I have a $ 1,200 Martin.

A few years ago, I studied a little music theory so I could understand how to play around other friends and create different voices, not necessarily picking but creating another color with a complimentary chord and works fine for now.

On music theory I learned to play all chords up and down the neck, I should now do the same with a capo so the guitar sounds more like with open strings.

Now I started learning a little more flat picking, simple stuff, not quite a bluegrass flat picker but I am getting better and the most important thing ... I am enjoying it.

The part that hurts is that my wife will not allow me to sing when she is around and I am not kidding.

Today, I have visitors, so my Golden Era goes back in the case and my camping Martin comes out, I would hate to see anything happen to my baby when young careless people do something stupid.

Hey, I be acoustic guitarist about as much as I be woodworker(and that ain't saying much)... But enthusiasm and passion counts, right? I learned back in the '70s when a leather jacket, an acoustic guitar, and a Porsche(or some combination thereof) would get you In Like Flynn with the ladies.:rolleyes: Never could afford that Porsche but me and my Takamine and my Beetle had some good times.... "Youth is wasted on the young", wish I could remember who said that... either Sam Clemens or W.C. Fields, whoever, he was dead on the money!

I bought a D-28 kit back in 2006, I'm thinking it might be acclimated by now..... ;) A glue pot is starting to sound like a nice

To: Me

Christmas present, especially since I now have a spray rig...

All seriousness aside, consistent practice is essential to learning guitar. And not just playing songs, set aside some time every day for practicing chord changes and scales. Look at the songs you like, figure out the chord arrangement and then break it down to simple changes and do 30 or 50 reps of each at a time.Then make a list of all the chords you know in alphabetical order. Go in that order and play 30 changes to all the other chords in alphabetical order. Do one starting chord a night, it won't take that long. Repeat the cycle a couple of times and you'll be amazed at what your fingers have learned.

Playing guitar is all about muscle memory. You might know in your head all about where a chord progression needs to go but if you have to stop and think where you need to put which finger on which string and how hard to press each one down it all falls apart. A guitar is just another hand tool and if your hands haven't worked with it enough to know how to handle it on their own your brain just can't keep up and the result is a mess. "Practice makes perfect", right?

(Interlude for a little "up close and personal time" with Nancy)

post-1150-0-59979100-1290658274_thumb.jp

I'm back, I need a smoke... :D And the wife doesn't even mind....

But you get what I'm saying, right? Practice until the hands know that when the brain says "C" hands know that means third finger, A string third fret, etc. and there's no thinking past "play a C" involved. It's not complicated, just a matter of doing it enough that it comes naturally. Like riding a bicycle or making a left turn or trimming a dovetail... Muscle memory is what it's all about and the only way to develop that is just to Do It!

HTH,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

New development. For those who like to play finger style and like James Taylor ... him ... himself is teaching his own songs. Nice and check out his "barn"

http://www.jamestayl.../guitarlessons/

Great link, Bobby! Thanx a bunch! Thought at first it'd be a pay-to-play site but looks not and great production on the video as well.

BTW, he uses fake nails for 'pickin'....... B) I just get by with calluses on my right fingertips but ...... Anyway, something to think about.

Best,

Bill

I have my nails for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... if you catch my drift. May be fake nails will be the way to stop chewing them and my wife will be happy.

:rolleyes:

Great link, Bobby! Thanx a bunch! Thought at first it'd be a pay-to-play site but looks not and great production on the video as well.

BTW, he uses fake nails for 'pickin'....... B) I just get by with calluses on my right fingertips but ...... Anyway, something to think about.

Best,

Bill

I have my nails for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... if you catch my drift. May be fake nails will be the way to stop chewing them and my wife will be happy.

:rolleyes:

I catch your drift, I'm in the same boat. Add in between-meal-snacks.... :unsure:

Play around with it, after a while you'll develop a more pronounced attack and get calluses on your right fingers to boot.

Bill