Dyes

Sac

So I just finished a little project that I was working on. It is a little TV Stand that is made of QS Red Oak. Has a little G&G influence to it. But without all the little ebony details. I want to experiment with using new finishes and was thinking about using some dyes to help it match what we currently have in the bedroom where this is going. I did a little looking around and have found the Transtint Dyes that I have heard people using, but I have also seen theMIXOL Tints at Woodcraft. I was wondering, besides the price, what is the difference between the two products? This will be the first piece that I have done somethinglike this with, and I intend on probably just wiping it on because the piece is so small. Thanks for the help..

So I just finished a little project that I was working on. It is a little TV Stand that is made of QS Red Oak. Has a little G&G influence to it. But without all the little ebony details. I want to experiment with using new finishes and was thinking about using some dyes to help it match what we currently have in the bedroom where this is going. I did a little looking around and have found the Transtint Dyes that I have heard people using, but I have also seen theMIXOL Tints at Woodcraft. I was wondering, besides the price, what is the difference between the two products? This will be the first piece that I have done somethinglike this with, and I intend on probably just wiping it on because the piece is so small. Thanks for the help..

I haven't used Mixol products before, but as I understand it they are not dyes, but tinting agents. Basically they consist of ground up pigments in a concentrated solution, almost like concentrated paint. This is different from Transtint which is actually a true dye, consisting of much smaller color particles. But either one could be used to color wood. If enough layers are applied, the pigment particles would have a tendency to obscure the grain more than dye particles, which can be good or bad depending on your goal. But applied lightly for a simple color change, both products would be effective.

Unless you are looking to make some crazy custom colors or you really feel like playing with making your own dye, I would highly recommend General Finishes pre-mixed water-based dyes. They are an absolute pleasure to work with and the colors are fantastic!

Excellent. I think that I will be on my way to WC to see if I can find a color that best matches the color of my bedroom furniture. I am not really too concern if it doesn't match perfectly, I just want it close. now, after I use the water based dye, do I need to seal that in before I use something like BLO, or can I go right on top with that? This is jsut going to have TV on top of it, doesn't need a hard finish like poly. I like the feel that the BLO gives the wood.

Just about any dyed or stained surface should be sealed to protect the color. Unfortunately, BLO really isn't the best choice for this. A good film finish would be ideal. But you don't need to pile on a bunch of thick coats. 2-3 wiped on coats of Arm-R-Seal satin will look fantastic, relatively natural, and it will protect the color. Although you will only have a tv on it, think about what's gonna happen when that TV gets moved, even if its an inch or two to plug something in behind it. That alone could scratch the color right off if its unprotected. So personally, I'd go with a light wiping varnish or at least spike that BLO with some varnish to make a blend.

Thanks for the insight.. I have some wipe on ploy left over from before. I think that I will use it up before I go buying new stuff. I would like to make the change to all water based finishes, except for things like BLO and what not. Thanks again Marc.