End Grain Countertop

jsaltzy

I'm about to start installing an end grain countertop and need some help. The dimension is approximately 6 feet by 4 feet. I know the wood counter is going to move a little over time but I'd like to use substrate to make the counter thicker & stronger. Questions:

1. Can I use substrate under end grain? If so, what type & how thick?

2. What is the best way to attach the substrate to the countetop? Glue, bolts, etc?

3. What is the minimum thickness recommended for the end grain so it wont warp? The wood I'm using is very very expensive so I want to keep it as thin as possible.

4. Can I put an EDGE grain border around the end grain countertop to cover the substrate? Or, as the wood moves will this crack the border?

That's it .. thank you for all your future comments!

I'm going to be doing the same starting in a week or two - both making the end-grain counter top and installing it. My plan is to make the end grain 1 1/4" thick and back it with 3/4 plywood. I plan on screwing the plywood to the end-grain countertop at various points (enough to hold it flat to the substrate).

I'm also going to have a long-grain border, only about 1/4 wide and 2" tall to cover the edge + substrate (3/4" ply). This will get glued on. Shouldn't be a problem since the end-grain really shouldn't be moving.

I haven't done this before, but that's my plan.

I'm going to be doing the same starting in a week or two - both making the end-grain counter top and installing it. My plan is to make the end grain 1 1/4" thick and back it with 3/4 plywood. I plan on screwing the plywood to the end-grain countertop at various points (enough to hold it flat to the substrate).

I'm also going to have a long-grain border, only about 1/4 wide and 2" tall to cover the edge + substrate (3/4" ply). This will get glued on. Shouldn't be a problem since the end-grain really shouldn't be moving.

I haven't done this before, but that's my plan.

Am I to understand that by end grain counter top you mean something along the lines of the traditional 'Butcher's Block' which is usually around three to four inches thick made up of pieces around an 1" square and usually Beech? Your idea of making it from shorter pieces and setting it on a thick base is Ok in itself, I made one like this nine years ago using 2"x1x1" lengths of Beech squares and gluing them all as one top measuring around two feet by three feet. I only sat them on the 1" marine ply base but made a mitred frame from 3" x 1" Maple this is pellet screwed to the ply but not the Beech. I then did the traditional thing and screwed Stainless steel corner brackets on each corner. It has so far not moved at all, but, Do not kid yourself into saying that the end grain pieces will not move. They may be short but, they will behave exactly as any length of timber. If you are very careful in selecting your pieces and leaving them in the room where they are going to stay for as long as possible beforehand and then when positioning them on the substrate alternate the ring directions as you glue them into a solid block you should be reasonably OK. If you must fix them down use the absolute minimum of screws.

The one I made is actually still on my website www.boisservant.com and is oiled twice a year using Walnut oil.

Hope this is of some help

Pete