Stain problem and glue

danste

Hi

I have a problem with my table that I have just stain. I have some spot or line with no stain. After assembling my table (with some glue), I have sand my table. I passe a wet tissus to remove all dust. I have put 2 coat of stain( 24 hours between).

Can you tell me what I have done wrong?

post-2713-0-03274800-1290727027_thumb.jp

This is another exemple of the same table.

Looks like glue prevented the stain from penetrating. I don't think there is an easy way to fix it now. Hopefully someone has an idea, snading would be very difficult, a heat gun and gentle scraping? Or spot touching with a gel stain? Sorry not much help. Some might say I have developed a bad habit, but I finish indivual parts of what ever I'm building and then assemble.

This is what I would do. Wash the entire table down with mineral spirits (hope the stain is not fully cured yet) remove as much stain as you possibly can. Then go after the glue squeeze-out with sandpaper. Once that’s done, give your entire table a good scuffing with sandpaper. Basically starting over.

Then carefully stain, using a small artist brush, those glue areas. Blend in with a rag damp (more dry than damp) of mineral spirits. The goal here is to bring those glue areas even as possible in color to the rest of the table.

Then re-stain your table. You may consider going over the Old Master stain with a good gel stain containing more pigments (I believe the Old Master is a thin semi transparent stain, sort of a dye) this should help blend in your color and take your color a little darker.

I understand this is probably not what you would like to hear, but like I said this is what I would do.

Did you use any pre-stain to control blotch? Your cherry’s color is extremely even, and may want to consider using some, however I feel you have enough stain in the wood to contain blotching, just don't over wet everything and let it dry good after washing the table down with mineral spirits, if that's what you decide to do.

-Ace-

Like you says, this is not a wanted to hear ;) hihihi

Last night, I make a test. I sand to remove the stain (on the spot that I have the problem)and a little more to be sure and restain it with the same result.

I have make the same table last year and I had the same problem. This year, I have sand a lot more (a lot, lot more) to be sure that I have not a glue problem. (I know, the best ways to not have a glue problem is not to put to much glue...) :(

It sounds as though you are using either PVA or Urethane adhesive, they do create exactly the problem you are having. The problem with not having glue squeeze out is that you are never certain if you have a good glue saturated joint. It is really as Ace says I'm afraid. Just console your self with the absolute knowledge that we have all been there with these modern adhesives. The only way in the future is to either finish as much as possible before glue up or mask the surface immediately next to the joint, which is never easy, or make absolutely certain you remove the glue before staining. To honest I find that if I leave the squeeze out, providing it isn't too much, absolutely alone until completely cured, and then very carefully slice it away with a sharp chisel, I have less problem. I find that if I attempt to wipe the surplus away it tends to leave thin, sometimes invisible, layer. You don't know it's there until you stain, and, as you have unfortunately just found out, the remedy is a hard, long slog.

I use hide glue for most internal furniture projects as it is much easier to remove and has much less of a tendency to cause a problem. Believe me hide glue is just as strong in good joints.

Pete