Beginner set

nikbrown

Being mostly a hand tool guy myself I don't make it to this section much. But.... I'm putting together a turning kit for my recently retired father in law. He took a woodcraft turning class and really enjoyed it. We are getting him a rikon mini lathe at tomorrows black Friday sale. What are good 3-4 starting tools (brand?)? And A good grinder and sharpening jig? We were going to get a few pen kits blanks and the turning jig for them. Anything else we need?

Thanks!

3/4 inch roughing gouge, parting tool, skew chisel, spindle gouge, scraper would be the first tools I would get. as to what brand not really sure I am on a budget and i am considering getting a roughing gouge from the woodriver brand. turning tools can often be as expensive as the lathe itself.

I havent turned pens yet so i cant offer advice on which tools he will use for pen turnings.

Being mostly a hand tool guy myself I don't make it to this section much. But.... I'm putting together a turning kit for my recently retired father in law. He took a woodcraft turning class and really enjoyed it. We are getting him a rikon mini lathe at tomorrows black Friday sale. What are good 3-4 starting tools (brand?)? And A good grinder and sharpening jig? We were going to get a few pen kits blanks and the turning jig for them. Anything else we need?

Thanks!

Nik, you might also want to check this post out. It’s was originally posted Sept. 15th. It has 26 replies so far. Tools are talked about since the poster wanted to know what he needed to get in addition to his lathe to turn pens.