Delta Band Saw 28-243S - Opinions?

Lee Bussy

I found one of these local. Seems to be an older but well-loved saw.  I found a few mixed reviews around but you know how those reviews are.  Someone gets a torn operator's manual they give it 1 star, and someone cuts 1/4" luan and they give it 5 stars.

Anyway, this one is running about 3 bills and from my extensive Craigslist browsing, seems promising (that was sarcasm if you did not catch it).  Just looking for some opinions on whether this might be a good idea or not.

$300 seems a bit high to me.  You can get something similar new from Grizzly tools for $550 and you get a warrantee and customer service if needed.

Fair enough - I see prices on Craig's List about the same way I see sticker prices on cars though.  If this was $250 would it beat out the $500 Grizzly?  You know ... where does this fit tin the spectrum?

I saw the same on Craig's List (about price). And so I read on the other useful forum about this saw (one guy recommended): Three very necessary things you need to check: the table for flatness; back off the guide bearings & thrust bearing, turn on the saw and see how much flex (side to side) there is in the blade and run the motor for a while to make sure it does not over heat.