Another Amazon Prime Member Tool Drool

protectedvoid

I have this drill press. The lazer alignment sucks and the gears to raise and lower the table grind after a while. To re-grease them you have to take the gear housing apart.

Amazon is notorious for highly inflating the "regular price". You can get this drill press numerous places for $829 with free shipping. But, Amazon is as good as any.

New Delta 18" Drill Press w/ all the latest bells and whistles. Very positive review in FWW. $830 w/ FREE (yes, FREE) 2 day shipping for Amazon Prime Members.

That has officially made my Xmas Bonus Wish List. :)

Bummer... the recent Powermatic sale included their 18" VS drill press. Very nice and was $799. I saw a few dealers talk about free shipping. I snagged one from a local dealer. I now wonder why I used my benchtop DP for so long... impossible to keep calibrated; seriously, if I needed a dead straight hole, I used a drill guide and brace.

Bummer... the recent Powermatic sale included their 18" VS drill press. Very nice and was $799. I saw a few dealers talk about free shipping. I snagged one from a local dealer. I now wonder why I used my benchtop DP for so long... impossible to keep calibrated; seriously, if I needed a dead straight hole, I used a drill guide and brace.

I'll have to keep an eye on the Powermatics. It seems every time I check them, I miss the sales. :( Thanks for pointing it out, though.

I have this drill press. The lazer alignment sucks and the gears to raise and lower the table grind after a while. To re-grease them you have to take the gear housing apart.

Amazon is notorious for highly inflating the "regular price". You can get this drill press numerous places for $829 with free shipping. But, Amazon is as good as any.

Yeah, I've noticed Amazon has a tendency to do that. Most of the time, I use Amazon for the free 2 day shipping + the fact I don't have to pay the ridiculous 8% NC Sales Tax. It's a shame, though, that you've had such trouble with this press. The lasers are a gimmick to me...I never use mine. I always align mine manually. Taking the housing apart to re-grease the gears is a bit ridiculous as well. As I mentioned above, I'll have to keep a closer eye on the Powermatics and catch them on sale w/ a free shipping offer.

Pity...this press had such good reviews.

Visit the Powermatic site to see the sale. Usually it says what is currently on sale and next on sale. Woodwerks posts that, too. I _believe_ they are replaying all the 2-week sales right now since Black Friday. I believe the drill presses were the third sale. If it adds credibility to the hype about the PM DP, Marc has it ;)

I was curious for other reasons, but when I got home, I checked the 3000 hour site. They just finished a 4-day Black Friday sale when that DP was $799 again. But, if you go to the 3000-hour sale site, it states there's ~40 hours more to go until the next sale. I believe that's when they will restart the 2-week sales. IIRC, the first was planers/jointers, then tablesaws, then drills/mortisers. But drum sanders might be in that mix somewhere. Good luck; you'll like it if you jump for it.

Amazon "regular prices" are manufacturer's MSRPs, which no retailers actually use. Their sale prices are often in line with other retailer's "street prices."

• 8 months later...
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian