Festool guide rail splinterguard

Robhartley

Hi All,

I have a Festool TS55 and love it. The only issue i have is that the splinterguard on the bottom of the guide rail keeps coming unstuck and moving. i have noticed that it has shifted and then when i do a cut it will cut into the splinter guard which then causes me issue with alignment. i bought a replacement roll splinterguard but i am noticing the same thing is happening again at the ends. is anyone else having this issue? i have brought them into the house as I'm worried that maybe the high temps in the shed over the summer (i live in CA) is melting the glue. However, since replacing the spinterguard i have not had it in the shed and I'm still getting the peel back.

Thoughts/feedback?

Edited by Robhartley

Yea, there's the thread on this over at FOG... Had the same problem with several rails and the FOG process fixed it...

The key was cleaning the rail. The recommended solution was PVC joint cleaner (you'll have to check that). So you peel the strip off, use the 'magic' cleaner, then apply the new strip. I had problems with several rails. After using the FOG solution, haven't had an issue since with any rail since...

• Like 2

How often do you guys replace your splinter guards?  I've been using mine for a couple years and it's still fine.  I mean obviously I'm not running the TS all day every day but I've given it some moderate use.  Seems fine and I still don't get tearout on cross-grain ply cuts.  What am I doing right?

• Like 1

I have had the rails for about 2 years and not had any problems. However, it was the first really hot summer that I left them in my work shed. I'm guessing they got too hot and started to peel. I didn't use the joint cleaner ( lazyness and it backfired I guess!) and I'm guessing you are right that's why I'm having problems again. 

Unless you change blades and a new blade is thicker or thinner, I don't see why you would ever have to change the splinterguard.