Best Ipod Sound System

jlloydparks

We live in a trash society somehow there is a lot of people who dump amplifiers and boom boxes. I have two boom boxes one connected to my laptop so I can listen to Wood Talk Online and pandora. The other one connected to my ipod.

For the shop I would not invest in something hugely expensive, since the iPod will be competing with your machines most of the time.

Also you will have dust in the air ...

I have an Ipod and some crummy $15 speakers for it. I was looking around and there are a lot of systems out there. For those that have one, what do you recommend as a good ipod compatible sound system for the shop?

Thanks!

Sony Fontopia headphones. The in-the-ear "earbud" style headphones. they fit well under the larger muffler hearing protection. Of course, I just have them on loud enough to dull the noise of the tool, so I can still hear when it's not squared or is about to fling bits of steel everywhere I don't want.

We live in a trash society somehow there is a lot of people who dump amplifiers and boom boxes. I have two boom boxes one connected to my laptop so I can listen to Wood Talk Online and pandora. The other one connected to my ipod.

For the shop I would not invest in something hugely expensive, since the iPod will be competing with your machines most of the time.

Also you will have dust in the air ...

Bobby, don't you have pandora on your iPhone? I use that and run through my shop stereo. That way when the phone rings, the music goes down so I know there's a call. Plus, it leaves the laptop freer for all the other stuff I do.

I have an Ipod and some crummy $15 speakers for it. I was looking around and there are a lot of systems out there. For those that have one, what do you recommend as a good ipod compatible sound system for the shop?

Thanks!

Depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of sound quality you are looking for.... Anything with an AUX input will work with your ipod. I use an old Sony bookshelf system. Works great and sounds great but you have to control the ipod manually. You can get these cheap at garage sales or thrift shops. In the bedroom we have a Panasonic component system that has an ipod dock on it. Its cool because it gives you remote control.

I have 7 iPods, iTouch, and iPhones. I play them through the surround system, the truck stereo, the Bose headphones, the in-ear buds and this little JBL speaker dock that has really great sound. I have one in the shop and one in the exercise room. They play loud enough to hear over some of the machinery.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=ipod+docks&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2868040191821394053&ei=rw4ETcbaCsK88ga2iYn3Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CGYQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

I have 7 iPods, iTouch, and iPhones. I play them through the surround system, the truck stereo, the Bose headphones, the in-ear buds and this little JBL speaker dock that has really great sound. I have one in the shop and one in the exercise room. They play loud enough to hear over some of the machinery.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=ipod+docks&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2868040191821394053&ei=rw4ETcbaCsK88ga2iYn3Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CGYQ8wIwBQ#ps-sellers

I use one of our first surround systems for the house in my garage..the remote eye went out...good nuff...I just plug the iphone into it. I even still have my really old(bachelor days) graphic equalizer hooked up to it. Pretty decent sound for junk.

• 2 months later...

If sound fidelity isn't paramount, you might check out one of the clock radios that have an ipod dock and a remote control. I have one by iHome that is probably going to get re-purposed for that. Best of all I won't cry if it dies. Or you can get one of the ear muffs with MP3 inputs.

I would never buy anything with a Bose logo on it... there is a reason their displays are set up away from the other stuff. I had an uncle that worked for them for many years and a friend with a car audio shop... Just sayin' Spend your money how you want... :)

I can't stand to listen to anything made by Bose. To me it is the equvalent to pottery barn furniture. Looks nice... has the name going... But just ain't right. All hype.

We have an ihome in the kitchen and it's pretty cool. Does the job. I think I'll get another so I can put the old one in the shop.

I would never buy anything with a Bose logo on it... there is a reason their displays are set up away from the other stuff. I had an uncle that worked for them for many years and a friend with a car audio shop... Just sayin' Spend your money how you want... :)

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Let me say I've got a tin ear so I wouldn't buy anything really expensive anyway as it is wasted on the likes of me.

I have a radio I bought at Menards for 12 bucks. If I would have bought it in 1989 it would have cost 300.

But I'm lame so I just tune it to ESPN or FOX sports out of Des Moines and I'm happy as a pig in slop.

Once in a while I'll actually switch to the classic rock station.

The nice thing is if anything ever happens to my "boom box" I can pick up a replacement for it at any garage sale for a buck or two.

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure what you mean.

Let me say I've got a tin ear so I wouldn't buy anything really expensive anyway as it is wasted on the likes of me.

The sound quality is AWFUL. If you want to sell Bose in your store you have to set up the display a minimum distance away from other equipment... why you ask? Because if you hear it side by side to products that cost 1/10 of what Bose cost, you'd see the Bose actually sounds WORSE. They wanted to sell out of my friends shop and he had them for a couple months but couldn't tolerate all their stupid rules and he didn't sell a single Bose product. They have a saying, something like "no highs, no lows, gotta be a Bose!" Maybe Bose was good back in the day but now... Why do you think they quote Forbes on their commercials? Who the heck goes to Forbes for audio equipment recommendations?! A few of my friends picked up Bose systems and of course try to show them off... I am almost embarrassed for them. They are always all proud, bragging about how much the system costs. They always sound like crap. I can't talk about what my uncle tells me, but I can tell you Bose is actually constructed with high quality components, regardless of the sound quality. I'm no audiophile by any stretch but I can tell when something sounds bad and doesn't back up its high price tag.