planer difference side to side

jab73180

hey everyone. i have a DW733 and just put new blades on it. i was wondering how much difference there should or shouldnt be from side to side of the board. i would take it there shouldnt be any, but reality is i have .010. i was measuring the boards i ran through before and i have the same difference, so i would have to level the cutter head i am thinking. but if the .010 difference is ok with the fine wood workers here like Bois, Spags, Sac and others here that i dont know yet, then its fine with me. thanx in advance.

i was measuring the boards i ran through before and i have the same difference ...

A friend of mine complained of a similar problem on an old Montgomery Wards 4-1/2" planer he bought at an auction. His planer had 3 knives. 2 allen screws under each knife adjusted the height. A beveled plate locked each knife in place. Standard enough. Everything he tried had little or no effect. Finally, we removed the locking plates, knives and adjusting screws for closer examination. One of the screws had a tiny bur on the head - only .006" or .007" high as if the wrong size allen wrench had been used at some point - it was enough to interfere with setting blade height. He removed the bur with 320 grit sandpaper and that solved the problem.

i wish i had a setup like that. the lock down plates have springs on them that hit the blade so the blade is spring loaded. then there are 2 magnetic jigs that hook onto the cutter head and set the blade in the right place. then you lock down all the bolts and presto your done. its a good system but not very accurate. there is not enough room to get a dial indicator in there and do it right. i did check the cutter head to bed relationship and it was .012 off and fixed that. pretty easy to fix actually, just googled it and found some dewalt documentation on it. but now have to figure a way to reliably set the knives correctly.

A friend of mine complained of a similar problem on an old Montgomery Wards 4-1/2" planer he bought at an auction. His planer had 3 knives. 2 allen screws under each knife adjusted the height. A beveled plate locked each knife in place. Standard enough. Everything he tried had little or no effect. Finally, we removed the locking plates, knives and adjusting screws for closer examination. One of the screws had a tiny bur on the head - only .006" or .007" high as if the wrong size allen wrench had been used at some point - it was enough to interfere with setting blade height. He removed the bur with 320 grit sandpaper and that solved the problem.

I used the same planer for many years with perfect results so I also vote on the knive settings, the little jigs take a little getting used to but they do work great. I always put in the knives and put the jigs on pushing the knives down, then rotate the cutterhead pinning the jigs in and allowing you to free up one hand for tightening up the setscrews-just something that worked good for me.

Nate

I am not sure on that particular planer how much adjustment there is? But i have used this video and technique for my planer with good luck.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-986589700074242027#

I have an old parks planer if you are at all familiar with it. It is adjustable in every way possible that I have ever needed.

great video. i was wondering how these jigs work. http://www.amazon.com/Small-Planer-Knife-Jig-Set/dp/B0035Y9MUC they look like they would do a great job, im just not sure if i have room enough in my planer. the motor is in tight to the cutter head. maybe i could do it from the bottom. am i making this out to be harder than it is? LOL

and dont forget to do your amazon shopping through the wood whisperer link to support the show!!! (i hope i get brownie points from Marc)

great video. i was wondering how these jigs work. http://www.amazon.com/Small-Planer-Knife-Jig-Set/dp/B0035Y9MUC they look like they would do a great job, im just not sure if i have room enough in my planer. the motor is in tight to the cutter head. maybe i could do it from the bottom. am i making this out to be harder than it is? LOL