just got an EIN

Godet

Soooo, I really haven't been at this woodworking thing for too long, but people are already requesting "commissions". Mostly, it's for small stuff--nameplate holders, business card holders, beer tap handles, etc....however, I have a job that requires aboveboard operations off-duty...so I decided to, a little reluctantly, get registered. I was surprised at how quick and easy it is to become a sole proprietor...almost too easy. Is there anything I should be especially aware of?

In terms of my personal business/woodworking journey, I'm happy to make a few bucks on these small projects and to use them as a way to perfect small projects. However, I also want to continue to grow as a woodworker and avoid unwanted jobs. Since this is an extremely part-time pursuit, I think I can be discriminating...nonetheless, any/all advice is welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing a friend of mine does is instead of saying "no" he gives a ridiculous high price and if he gets the unwanted job then he makes good money with it.

I did this a few times and had it bite me in the butt. As it turns out, if I really don't want to do a job, I am better off just turning it down. Because even after I got the money, I STILL didn't want to do it. And if I enter a job with that attitude, it tends to affect the quality of my work, which is never a good thing. So unfortunately for me, the PITA pricing method just didn't work.