OMG!!!

dlamulle

My LOML (wife) just gave me the blessing to replace many of my "outdated" tools with some of the new "safer" tools with better dust controls. That means I'm off this afternoon to load up the back of my truck with Festool products. I already have a T55, a 1400 and a new 26 Vac, the demo to her this morning showing how quiet the tools are and the superior collection had her ask why I hadn't done this sooner. I must admit I'm a bit giddy and the last bit of showing her all my new "Guildies" here and what they got for Christmas sealed the deal. What type of sanders do you recommend if I were buying only 2? Besides a domino what else is a must have. I'll be taking your advice today in about 4 hours so hit me with your superior tool knowledge.

Cheers

Dave

Nice; get the Domino assortment Systainer while you are at it. You'll use every size tenon in there and you get a full set of cutters in the box as well.

Any project with a large flat surface gets hit with the RS2e.

The Rotex sanders are both nice since they are dual purpose. That said, though, I use the DTS-400 for most rail/stile sanding. Very light, aggressive enough, triangular tip to the pad to get into corners. The RTS-400 (which I don't have) is the same sander with a rectangular pad.

So, summarizing, of mine, the top 2 sanders for use are the RS2e and DTS-400. I don't have any ETS sanders to compare the DTS against (but a round pad can't get into a corner).

Nice; get the Domino assortment Systainer while you are at it. You'll use every size tenon in there and you get a full set of cutters in the box as well.

Any project with a large flat surface gets hit with the RS2e.

The Rotex sanders are both nice since they are dual purpose. That said, though, I use the DTS-400 for most rail/stile sanding. Very light, aggressive enough, triangular tip to the pad to get into corners. The RTS-400 (which I don't have) is the same sander with a rectangular pad.

So, summarizing, of mine, the top 2 sanders for use are the RS2e and DTS-400. I don't have any ETS sanders to compare the DTS against (but a round pad can't get into a corner).

Ok, Paul thanks so much for your input. I just got back from my first haul and feel like I raided the North Pole. I got the RS2e as you suggested but I bought the Duplex LS 130 EQ instead of the DTS-400. It was more expensive but the salesman told me I could upgrade it with several different pads to accomplish more and get better bang for the buck. What do you think?

I got the Domino DF500 Q-plus. Their inventory said it wasn't really that one but an older model which sold for 775.00 so would sell it to me for that to clear up their inventory. Was that a good deal?

Bought the Domino systainer assortment as you suggested.

Got the RO-150 and ETS-125EQ for flat stock.

Got the MFT/3 and had to order some of the gadgets for it for holding stock because they were out.

Bought 2 edge guides for my 1400. Using two guides seems great for legs and bed posts and it saves having to clamp a piece of wood opposite the one guide. Now I can dial in a mortise.

Cross stop for Domino and a hose holder. Didn't get the boom because I didn't know if I needed it yet. If the holder is higher than the table I might not.

Headed back Thursday to get my 2 drills and I think I'm set for the guild build next week.

I need some advice on abrasives, there was just too many choices and too little time. I work mostly with Mahogany but also with Walnut and White Oak. What types would you suggest to load up on?

Dave

If I was a "Festooler" I be buying the Multi-function table. My advice would be a new LCD flat panel TV and a laptop for "research".

Got the table and I think it was a great idea. Wife bought me the laptop, macbook, for this Christmas actually. I was ashamed to post it under what I got because it wasn't wood oriented but thanks to it I got to show my wifey all the neat guild stuff last night which lead to today. LCD Flatpanel is already in the shop for watching my David Charlesworth DVD's on sharpening and planes. That was last Christmas' present.

Dave

Please call my wife and tell her to approve the same process for me.

I can be pretty persuasive when it comes to "needing tools". I'll try to hook you up but I'll have to charge you some sanding disks and pads for interest. I can't work totally free or it will ruin my image. biggrin.gif

Dave

Ok, Paul thanks so much for your input. I just got back from my first haul and feel like I raided the North Pole. I got the RS2e as you suggested but I bought the Duplex LS 130 EQ instead of the DTS-400. It was more expensive but the salesman told me I could upgrade it with several different pads to accomplish more and get better bang for the buck. What do you think?

So all of those come with a 30-day money back in case you tinker with them and decide against any.

The LS130 is okay. It's linear so it's useful for a final pass like you would with a hand block. Not very aggressive, but that's not a knock, just an attribute. There are more pads for the LS130 but mostly for profiles. Check the catalog (latest is 2009) but there are profiles for many diameters of rods and a block to match custom profiles. For someone making architectural moldings or handrails, this is ridiculously useful.

You mentioned getting both the RO-150 and ETS-125 so in a way the DTS isn't as useful since the ETS accomplishes the same thing with the exception of getting into corners. The LS-130 can do that, but remember it is linear so you can only go into the corner with the grain or you're not accomplishing much.

I got the Domino DF500 Q-plus. Their inventory said it wasn't really that one but an older model which sold for 775.00 so would sell it to me for that to clear up their inventory. Was that a good deal?

Oooh, is it the PIN model?! If so, you scored. Look at the fence. Does it have 2 registration PINs (rods) or two paddles (flip stops)? If so, look at my blog under the Domino category; some way older posts are about narrow stock spacers that work only with the pin model. Those make an already fast tool almost too fast. And that's a good price; your 3-year warranty starts when you buy it so nothing lost!

Bought the Domino systainer assortment as you suggested.

Got the RO-150 and ETS-125EQ for flat stock.

My only comment about getting these two is that you have 2 different size heads. For example, if you got the RO-150 and ETS-150/3, you could buy the 150mm abrasives assortment and use them on either sander. Now, you have to stock up on 150mm and 125mm discs. Granted, you'll tend to use coarser grits with the RO-150 and finer for the ETS-125, but it's worth considering. Another consideration is that I believe (verify it) that the pads for the RO-150 are interchangeable with the ETS-150/3. The hard pad and super soft pad are useful in both sanders.

Got the MFT/3 and had to order some of the gadgets for it for holding stock because they were out.

Bought 2 edge guides for my 1400. Using two guides seems great for legs and bed posts and it saves having to clamp a piece of wood opposite the one guide. Now I can dial in a mortise.

Two edge guides is the way to go with any of their routers; the rods for the guides are so long you can easily put two on there. Now, if you tell me you bought a second vacuum for the second edge guide, I'll know you went nuts...

Cross stop for Domino and a hose holder. Didn't get the boom because I didn't know if I needed it yet. If the holder is higher than the table I might not.

I love the boom arm, but it's pricy. The holder is pretty inexpensive for now even if you decide on the boom arm later. There might be a promotion on the boom arm in March along with a new accessory for the vac.

Headed back Thursday to get my 2 drills and I think I'm set for the guild build next week.

Uhm, I think you're set for more than just the guild build! ;)

I need some advice on abrasives, there was just too many choices and too little time. I work mostly with Mahogany but also with Walnut and White Oak. What types would you suggest to load up on?

The dealer should have a small booklet on the abrasives. Actually, you should have gotten one with each sander.

Rubin for coarser grits on wood and Brilliant-2 for finer grits on wood. I get P60 through P120 in Rubin and P180-P320 in Brilliant-2.

In my case, I bought a few abrasive assortment systainers because they were a good price. If I didn't have those, I would seriously look into Mirka Abranet discs. Fine mesh for sanding that is dust free. You can wash them even. They may require an interface pad, I'm not sure. But you wouldn't go wrong with an abrasives assortment.

Be sure to tinker with all of them; each has a learning curve like any tool. You want to decide against anything before the 30 days.

My god, can I borrow your wife or have her convince mine I need new tools :D

I'm thinking about talking to Marc about running a tutorial on this very subject. With one of my one hour classes you too can have your wife tell you to go out and buy all new tools for your shop and will be sure it was all her own idea. Wives are normally protective and have a normal response to danger hence the familiar cry "don't run with those scissors you'll fall and hurt yourself ". You just need to refine and focus those inherent feelings into a more productive avenue. I'll post info on sign-up dates.

Dave

I'm thinking about talking to Marc about running a tutorial on this very subject. With one of my one hour classes you too can have your wife tell you to go out and buy all new tools for your shop and will be sure it was all her own idea. Wives are normally protective and have a normal response to danger hence the familiar cry "don't run with those scissors you'll fall and hurt yourself ". You just need to refine and focus those inherent feelings into a more productive avenue. I'll post info on sign-up dates.

Dave

SIGN ME UP!!

Jeff

I have the Ets 150/5 and use it for all my sanding-love it. My most common used are the Brilliant-2 with grits of 180 and 220. I bought a couple 10 packs of 120 and 320 but other than that the disks that come with it cover all my bases.

If the salesman you had would work off commission you probably would have killed them!

Nate