Patrick in Iowa City

Sinister

Hi, as the topic title implies, I'm Patrick from Iowa City IA. I've been an amateur woodworker since 2003. I started just like most guys - out of home improvement necessity. When we bought our house, it had a shop in the basement under the garage and I quickly set to home improvement projects. My first stationary power tool was a belt sander. I now have a pretty complete set of tools but that belt sander is still an unsung hero.

I'm a Research Professor at the University of Iowa. Marc might be interested to know that I use many fine InVitrogen products on a daily basis. I'm in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Allergy and Pulmonary. If anyone has any lung related questions - I may not know the answer, but I would likely know how to find out.

I do have a grizzly cyclone. My shop is the size of a 2 car garage but the ceilings are low so my options were limited. I think sawdust in your lungs is a real concern and limiting it as best you can is important. However, I've done a lot of reading on the topic and the actual science addressing the risks of sawdust is poor so it's tough to say how dangerous it really is. Obviously, it's best to error on the side of keeping as much crud out of your lungs as possible.

I graduated in December from the Neuroscience program, I did my thesis work in a lab in the Biology Department. Now I'm doing a postdoc at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, ME. I also use fine Invitrogen products pretty much every day. My wife and I miss Iowa City. We have a lot of good friends out there.

I graduated in December from the Neuroscience program, I did my thesis work in a lab in the Biology Department. Now I'm doing a postdoc at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, ME. I also use fine Invitrogen products pretty much every day. My wife and I miss Iowa City. We have a lot of good friends out there.

My wife did her thesis work in Jim Lin's lab. I don't know many woodworkers around here. It's funny we met online. Did you have a hard time finding a house with shop space in Bar Harbor?

Jim Lin was on my thesis committee. Super nice guy. We rent a house in a little town about 10 minutes from Bar Harbor. We rented it after seeing pictures online and having a co-worker take a look at it. There is no garage, so I was originally planning on using the basement for shop space. When we got out here and actually saw the basement, that idea passed pretty quickly. I'm not that tall, but I don't really want to spend all of my shop time hunched over. I use a little mud room off of the kitchen, which sounds worse than it actually is. I don't have any big stationary tools anyway, so I am able to get by.