Resawing with a handsaw

russjohnson

Hello everyone. I'm mostly a machine woodworker but I want want to resaw some 6" boards and my bandsaw is not that wide and doing it with a table saw has visions of a emergency room visit. So I don't want to spend a bunch of money and found where some have done this with a handsaw. I tried on a 4" wide poplar with a 15" 8tpi saw. Mostly ok except for 1/16 devation. But as I was doing this I thought I might need a longer saw is 15" acceptable or would 22" work? Any saw suggestions given that I'm a cheapskate? I was considering a 22" Pony from Woodcraft.

Hi Russ,

Wow, your a diehard! On the handsaw, I would try and get a Rip Saw with 4-5 teeth per inch. The longest one you can get your hands on. Another thing that I would do, is run the board thru the tablesaw on edge on both sides just to reduce the amount of wood you have to saw by hand. The Neanders generally use a frame saw for this. It has a piece of bandsaw blade in it usually 18-24" long. Even if you only cut out an inch or so on each side of the board, it will leave a lot less of the board for you to have to saw.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Yesterday I went to the Getty Museum with my outlaws who were here from Houston TX ... By the way ...

What is the difference between a terrorist and your mother in law? .. .

You can negotiate with a terrorist ...

OK ... continue.

We went to the furniture room and how these guys in the year 1600 did BY HAND veneer was jut amazing.

I was awed and thought all these viewers have no idea!

Resawing with a handsaw is not hard and it is a great calorie burner. Take a look at this blog post (The Big Rip), he covers a lot of the things that you need to know in order to resaw a larger a board.

A 15" handsaw is too small, a 22" handsaw might be more fitting. However, I would advise against the Pony handsaw it is more trouble than it is worth. You need a rip saw, I know they are expensive but the Wenzloff Saw or Lie-Nielsen Panel Saw would be the best. If you are looking for something a little easier on the wallet then an old Disston and a $6 file and your in business. Take a look at your local flea market or antique store for a suitable specimen. Check out vintage saws on how to sharpen an old saw.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, the saws that are sold at HD or Lowes are worthless you'll be lucky if they even cut pine, ask me how I know and I'll show you pictures of one that I resharpened because it was so much crap. Old Disston saws are easy to find used and a six dollar file you'll have a great saw. I sharpened an old one I had for 4 tpi just to do this and It's a dream to use, it advances about 1" per stroke in 4/4 lumber.

I saw this one on ebay, this is the classic. you'll be able to find other less classic ones that will work just as well for less money. Years ago Disston made saws for craftsman too so don't shy away from them, Kleen Kutter and simionds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISSTON-D-8-Skewback-Rip-Saw-5-5ppi-w-Thumbhole-grip-/290518472823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a4401877