Resawing 7" Green Lumber

Dyami Plotke

My Dad has a new Jet 18" bandsaw. He was running some 7" thick green Lumber (pine, I think). The lumber isn't frozen anymore, but its still wet & cold.

He was cutting this lumber with a 7 tpi blade (probably the OEM blade). He had tons of blade drift as well as causing damage to his guide wheels.

Can anyone recommend a good blade for cutting 7" thick lumber?

I'd use one of the 2 or 3 tpi alternate set Timberwolf blades, in either the 3/8" or the 1/2" widths. These blades cut a wider kerf, which is what you want for cutting green wood. Bowl turners use these blades for making bowl blanks, which is very similar to resawing green wood in terms of blade performance.

7 tpi is waaaay too fine. As Wilbur suggests 2 or 3 tpi is going to do a better job. The heat build up from all that compacted sawdust stuck in the gullets is throwing the blade off and causing the drift and barrel cut. Additionally, wet softwoods are best cut with an aggressive rake blade so go with a skip tooth design. Brand or make is probably not important as it doesn't sound like he does a lot of this kind of work so I wouldn't spend a lot on a blade for a rarely used application.

7 tpi is waaaay too fine. As Wilbur suggests 2 or 3 tpi is going to do a better job. The heat build up from all that compacted sawdust stuck in the gullets is throwing the blade off and causing the drift and barrel cut. Additionally, wet softwoods are best cut with an aggressive rake blade so go with a skip tooth design. Brand or make is probably not important as it doesn't sound like he does a lot of this kind of work so I wouldn't spend a lot on a blade for a rarely used application.

Thanks, Shannon. We'll see the resawn boards in March ;-)

Dyami, I don't know if you caught Michael Fortune's resawing session at WIA but he had a similar recommendation as Wilbur and Shannon. He uses a 3 tpi skip tooth blade, 1/2" width. He highly recommended BC Saw & Tool Inc out of Ontario. www.bcsaw.com I can't remember the exact price of the blades he mentioned, but it seemed dirt cheap to me. Somewhere under $15 I believe.

Dyami, I don't know if you caught Michael Fortune's resawing session at WIA but he had a similar recommendation as Wilbur and Shannon. He uses a 3 tpi skip tooth blade, 1/2" width. He highly recommended BC Saw & Tool Inc out of Ontario. www.bcsaw.com I can't remember the exact price of the blades he mentioned, but it seemed dirt cheap to me. Somewhere under $15 I believe.

Thanks, Aaron. I did catch Michael Fortune's class. It's my notes from the class that are missing . . .

I'd use one of the 2 or 3 tpi alternate set Timberwolf blades, in either the 3/8" or the 1/2" widths. These blades cut a wider kerf, which is what you want for cutting green wood. Bowl turners use these blades for making bowl blanks, which is very similar to resawing green wood in terms of blade performance.

Thanks, Wilbur.