Floor nailer

edh

I am going to install hardwood floors in my 3 bedrooms. We had a professional do the living room etc a few years ago and we love the floors. I intend to use 3/4 pre finished Oak.

I need a nailer. I have the compressor. What is better, nails or staples? I believe the pro who did the living room etc used nails or cleats.

There are many nailers available ranging in price from about $150. to $600. I like good tools so will def not buy the cheapest but would like some advice. What is the difference between a 150.00 nailer and a 600.00 nailer?

HD has dropped the price on two of their Bostitch nailers, one is a stapler and the other a nail type. HD also has a Paslode for about the same price that's promoted as both a stapler and cleat nailer. I have some other Bostitch Brad nailers that I am happy with.

Your thoughts and experience is appreciated.

Ed

If buying is what you want to do you should watch craigslist as stuff like this is common on there. Know what you are looking for and costs as well as planning that it is possible that if you buy a heavily used nailer that you may have to put a rebuild kit in it. This may be a great option for you if you are willing to do some homework. I have done this in the past because of a couple of things, first I knew it was going to be a job that took a lot of hrs to complete and being that I was trying to work around my actual jobs schedule making rental; and second I live a little over an hour one way from a rental place. Start figuring the tool rental, miliage, having a deadline like that causes uneeded stress in a already stressfull situation, and even worse yet it that the timeline causes you to rush making it a less safe scenario and compermises the quality of the work. When I did it I was completely having my family live in less than half of our house because of my completely gutting and remodleing our home, my kids were smaller at the time so it was an adventure but my wife was not as thrilled with it-she wanted it done and is happy now but was a bumpy road. Sometimes a tool helps keep the peace.

Nate