Sculpted Rocker questions

ottacat

I'm considering taking on the challenge of building the sculpted rocker. Before going ahead I have a couple of questions about the project and would greatly appreciate any input from those who have already built it.

First, approximately how many hours does this take? I heard Sam would spend on average 200 hours building one and to be honest that scares me. I estimate how long project take by taking the number of months it took build, convert it to weeks and then take a rough guess at the hours per week I typically spend on a project.

Second, is a lathe absolutely required for the project? If so, how big a lathe is required? Can it be done on a bench-mounted midi lathe?

Thanks in advance!

Too many factory involved in "how many hours does it take".  I know I was around 200 and @shaneymack was much quicker.

No, you don't absolutely need the lathe but, it does make it a bit quicker.  If memory serves me correctly, I don't think it was possible on a mini lathe but, I could be wrong.  I have a full sized lathe so, didn't pay much attention to that.

My biggest advice would be to watch all the videos before starting the project.  There are some learning opportunities in the later videos that will benefit you earlier in the project.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing it!

• Like 1