walnut island

Well I tock the wife to the lumber store to pick out the wood for the island and 500 bucks later im home with 6 pcs 8/4 x 9" x 6' nice walnut (she wanted dark wood). So my thought was to go with the boards on edge or the 1-3/4" side facing up. I am planning on ripping the strips into 2" widths. Should I run all-thread rods thru the width of the top with nuts on each end acting like permanent clamps or just rely on the glue strength alone? I will be wrapping the entire perimeter with 8/4 x 4" wide zebrawood to give the table a deep look wich will also hide the rods if used. Originally I was going to do end grain but after considering the amount of glue up i was looking at i chickend out after all i do need to get this done in a reasonable amount of time. Any suggestions are welcome.

I think that you will be just fine if you just glue it. I would use Titebond III. THey even make it in a dark colored glue. It is waterproof. Would be a better option than regular Titebond. It sounds like a nice project. Make sure to post some progress pics..

I think that you will be just fine if you just glue it. I would use Titebond III. THey even make it in a dark colored glue. It is waterproof. Would be a better option than regular Titebond. It sounds like a nice project. Make sure to post some progress pics..

Thanks for the tip sac- I will get the glue for sure. And I will post pics too! Im worried that my table saw has the horsepower required to do the job it's a craftsman 1-3/4 HP model. I do have a new freud blade so we will find out. Sac I would love to come see your shop I drive by madison at least once a month to visit my mom.