Done.. before we even got started???

Phred

Hey Guys,

Looks like I finished my guild project unintentionally ahead of time.... I built mine out of an old Teak China cabinet that I saved from the scrap bin a few years ago. It was handed down from my Grandmother to my Mom, then to me.. but by the time it got to me.. it was too far gone.. made of mostly teak ply (5/8 Particle Core Ply) it just did not stand the test of time.. a few years ago, I made two night tables for my Mom out of it, and this year I took what was left and built a jewelry cabinet for her Christmas gift this year... I checked into the Guild site just after Christmas, and low and behold.. It looks almost identical to the wall hanging cabinet.

Most of the parts are salvaged from the old china cabinet, except for the door hinges (salvaged those from something else) and a few pieces of Baltic Birch to whip up a quick drawer along with some scrap maple ply for a French cleat to hang it with.

Let me know what you guys think!

PS... I'm not sure where the pictures are being kept any more of completed projects, so I am posting this here. Prior to the site re-design they were on the same page as the project. I'm building my Chest of Drawers right now, hope to have it done soon!

Nick

post-2289-0-75771400-1294897304_thumb.jp

post-2289-0-81034700-1294897324_thumb.jp

Wow, done early (show off :))!

Nice that you could get bookmatched doors from the random scrap teak ply or were those doors from the old China cabinet? Also like how the back is very nearly straight-grain teak. Dunno where you got the handles, but they work well with that cabinet.

I like the look of teak; have yet to build with it, though.

The doors were left over from the original china cabinet. I got lucky and got a side that matched, there were 4 doors on the old cabinet, these two had damaged edges by where the hinges WERE located, they were what basically determined the measurements for the cabinet, they were about 15-16" wide, I could only salvage about 9" from each door, and the handles were the original. The back was actually a shelf behind the doors. I really enjoyed building this salvaged project.

Wow, done early (show off :))!

Nice that you could get bookmatched doors from the random scrap teak ply or were those doors from the old China cabinet? Also like how the back is very nearly straight-grain teak. Dunno where you got the handles, but they work well with that cabinet.

I like the look of teak; have yet to build with it, though.