Assembling & Flattening Rings

mlehikoinen

Hello turners, I recently decided to try my hand at segmented bowls. I don't have any blanks to try the traditional bowl, so maybe I'm going the difficult route of learning bowl turning.

I'm making a low wider bowl with only 2 layers above the base and have glued up one layer and almost finished the 2nd layer. I'm using the method found on Woodturning Online so I'm assembling the rings piecemeal.

One problem I've found is the tendency of wood to move when glue is applied. I've heard that band clamping is another method, but would like your thoughts.

The other thing is the assembled ring isn't quite flat anymore. Without having access to a thickness sander, how would you flatten the ring?

Mike,

Use your lathe to flatten the ring. Mount that puppy up on a faceplate and use your favorite tool to bring it back to flat and square. A lot of seg. turners just glue up 2 pieces at a time, then take them, and glue 2 of them together, and so on. Until they get to the half way point. Then you can use sand paper on a flat surface, and joint the next glue edges. This makes for a nice joint.

Or another way to joint the top most ring is to glue sand paper to your table saw, or other big flat surface and just push it back and forth until it comes into square.

Roger

Mike,

Most of the seg turners have dedicated sleds for each angle they are using. If your angles are off it wont take very long to find out when you are getting ready to glue up. A lot use a dedicated disc sander to fine tune also. There are many ways to skin this cat. Keep at it. One nice thing about seg turning is you are almost always turning face grain rather than face, end, face, end. Makes for much happier turning.

Roger